Toyota 1MZ-FE, 232,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, maybe a little more varnish than at 155k, but other than that it looks very good
smile.gif

It was about 80% M1, with the remainder being GC when it was on sale and I was on that kick. I noticed some weird pitting/marking on the backside of the upper left cam lobes, IDK what that is. I didn't scrape at it or try to remove it but it looked like pitting to me. It was relatively minor and at this point in time I'm ignoring it.

Also FWIW, I use M1 in my other cars to but go about 8500 miles between oil changes. This one is shorter because of the engine. The PCV valve likes to clog up on this one and overall I think it would have been a candidate for the "gelling" problems.

Here's mine at 200k. Also has only had synthetic oil since day one changed twice a year or 4-5k.

I expected to see cleaner internals but i guess with an engine known to build up sludge, its pretty good.

Currently doing 7k OCIs. (mostly highway)

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

You guys are ruining it for the mass of consumers that had sludge issues.

I wouldn't worry about a little varnish. You can always toss in a quart of Marvel, Rislone, or a pint of Kreen, Lubegard, Zmax, or CD2.... and keep driving. The other option is a cold engine 5-10 minute solvent flush prior to the next oil change.

Hopefully with the SN/GF5 additive tech, maybe the newer synth's will slowly remove that 'coloring' from the engine.

I would and do worry about any camshaft pitting/galling... So, when you take the VC off in another 100k miles, post a picture of the offending cam lobes.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
You guys are ruining it for the mass of consumers that had sludge issues.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
To accompany another thread, here is a picture of under the valve cover of my '99 Sienna engine. A steady diet of synthetic oil changed out at a relatively short OCI (approx 6000 miles).

At 155,000 the engine looked like this:

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/9886/hpim0280qf9.jpg

Dang man, Thats beutiful, did you clean it with anything when you took the cover off. I know you were speaking of my thread, but come on that doesnt accompany anything, yours is like a baby's arse compared to mine. I wish id have never looked. I cant put the cover back on till im somewhat close to where you are. On toyotas class action lawsuit website for the 1mz-fe and its sludge problems, they reccomend removing the valve cover and cleaning insides with diesel. How would i do that. God help Me. www.oilgelsettlement.com is the site i referenced.I found out a year too late,they might have just replaced my engine. Heres mine
InValveCo8 by 99solara, on Flickr

Sorry left this out of the above post, but on my thread with the same topic i just made a post seeking help for cleaning inside and out to get everythig ready for the new gasket before i put the valve cover back on, anyone with any ideas your input would be appreciated.

Your engine is fine! There's no sludge at all, just some varnish which is mostly inconsequential. Trust me, if you ever saw an engine with sludge it's a far different picture than any of the ones in this thread.

I would not clean your engine at all. IMHO you could just go with a reasonable OCI on a good mineral oil, or use synthetic.

I didn't clean my engine with anything. Yeah it is sparkly clean at 155,000 miles but you can see a bit more varnish or whatever at 232,000. But still you engine looks fine. I wouldn't do a thing except continuing to use a quality oil changed out at a reasonable (or slightly shortened) interval, considering the reputation of this engine.

Do NOT clean it with diesel. And you don't need a new engine.

Originally Posted By: 99SolaraSLE

I know you were speaking of my thread, but come on that doesnt accompany anything

First off let me say i dont know what word i was meaning to type that the auto-correct turned into accompany in the quote above,i think it was meant to say come on that ur pics didnt COMPARE to anything in my thread.
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Actually it was this thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2191175#Post2191175
my apologies.after seeing this thread and what you had said in the PM you sent me, i just assumed. Read the message out of context i guess. So do you have a pic of under the valve cover at 150,000 and at 232,000? Sorry of they're staring me in the face but they both seemed identically clean. The link i clicked on had such a small pic that might be the cause of my confusion. Either way i never thought i could feel so jealous. I will find the best way to clean in there. I'm sending you a pm let me know what you think, and if its post-worthy for your thread tell me and ill post it.

Last edited:
This is mine, 2003 Sienna 1MZFE at about 90K miles.
OCI of 5K with "synthetic" at a Valvoline shop.

Same after a very light wipe down with a rag soaked with Berryman's B12 Chemtool....and some oil drizzled over things before putting the valve cover back on.

The oil had AutoRX in it.
NO SLUDGE.....some VERY thin and light deposits that wiped right off, no scrubbing needed.
OK....a LITTLE scrubbing on the sides of the spark plug tubes and the underside of the valve covers.
USE CARE to avoid pressing sideways on the spark plug tubes as they are set into the head with a sealant to prevent leakage.

My point being.......things can look worse than they are.
The dark rough areas are just rough casting surfaces that are wet with oil.....
I am now running Redline oil and expect it will look better in the future, but not run or perform better than it does now (which is very good).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back