When to do the first oil change in a Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I love it how people assume they know everything. . . .

You do know that part of changing the oil includes changing the oil filter.

The oil (from the crank case and oil filter housing) had a very fine, powder like, metallic glitter in it.

It is what it is.

Yes.

Unlike some people here, I have actually worked as a mechanic for by of my career. I later owned a Chrysler (Jeep-Eagle) dealership, so I have seen a lot over the years...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

The oil (from the crank case and oil filter housing) had a very fine, powder like, metallic glitter in it.

It is what it is.

Yes.

Unlike some people here, I have actually worked as a mechanic for by of my career. I later owned a Chrysler (Jeep-Eagle) dealership, so I have seen a lot over the years...

Means nothing to me. I have seen way to many bad mechanics to just assume mechanics know everything.

Also, you having owned a dealership of one of, if not thee worst American car company (Chrysler) is less than impressive. . .

It is a fact wear metals are higher in new engines. Is it enough to a ruin an engine, no.

It's a personal choice.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I'm sorry, but that was just rude.

+1

I find it rude to just flat out call me liar and say "it was not metal" sitting from his computer chair.

He tried to qualify his off the wall opinion by listing his "accomplishments".

As I said, it did nothing for me.

I find it rude to just flat out call me liar and say "it was not metal" sitting from his computer chair.

He tried to qualify his off the wall opinion by listing his "accomplishments".

As I said, it did nothing for me.

+1

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

It is what it is.

Yes.

There exist a LOT of particulate, metallic and otherwise in ANY FF with 1000+ miles on it. Yes the oil filter will capture most of the stuff over 20microns, but not much under that. Filters have poor efficiency below 15 microns. All this is indisputable, common knowledge gleaned from filter manufacturers product specification and ASTME testing and also ISO particle counts from 100's of FF UOA. Also note that in a winter climate break in, many filters will bypass and wash down and circulate previously trapped larger particles leading firstly to bearing streaking - or worse.

About time someone bring up filtration, or lack of filtration in the typical full-flow filter.

Chain reaction wear, wear causing wear, wear compounding wear.... is the reason to change out the factory fill oil early from all mechanical components(oil, psf, atf, transfer case, diff's...). Also don't forget to include normal dirt/debris from the assembly line adding to the problem. Recirculating dirt isn't my idea of proper lubrication.

The other option is for the yahoos at the automakers to make bypass filtration STANDARD. Wishful thinking.

Every new vehicle purchased gets an oil/filter change the 1st time it pulls into my driveway. I can afford the $26 jug of oil and $5 filter. I can't afford a new $20k-$30k vehicle every 2 years.

Plus you have to remember, I bought the car on the 22nd of Feb. with 140 miles on it.

The car was built in October of 2010. Sooo for about 4 months, the car was started, moved in the lot, turned off, test drove, quick runs hear and there. All during the WINTER.

The factory fill is full of wear metal, and pending the car, full of fuel/water dilution from being moved around the dealership and never reaching operating temp.

Fresh oil and a new filter for me! Thanks!

That is the argument to make, "Well the car did sit in a dealer lot for 6 months, moved like twice a week, started idled, test driven, sat idled, etc..."

NOT

"I saw glitter in my oil and got reeeeal scared."

Personally speaking, old habits die hard and in this day it seems the early FF oil change is certainly the one that is taking a lot of people with it. Clutching on this "tradition" like it is a humble as apple pie.

I don't do it, and no one in my family has...with favorable results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
That is the argument to make, "Well the car did sit in a dealer lot for 6 months, moved like twice a week, started idled, test driven, sat idled, etc..."

NOT

"I saw glitter in my oil and got reeeeal scared."

Personally speaking, old habits die hard and in this day it seems the early FF oil change is certainly the one that is taking a lot of people with it. Clutching on this "tradition" like it is a humble as apple pie.

I don't do it, and no one in my family has...with favorable results.

o0o0o0! You don't do it, so it's not even worth thinking about doing?!?!?!?

You, out of everyone knows best???

FF has double, triple, 4x, 5x, ect. . . more wear metal in it than normal. This is FACT.

If you do not want to change it out, fine. But it's not a "habit" that has not merit.

Fact, new engines have more wear metal.
Fact, 100+ miles of NOTHING but short trips around the dealership, to and from fuel stations, and test drives is HARD on any oil.

Yes, following whatever the dealer says would get one a long life out of there engine.

There is no wrong way, short of over extending the motor oil past what it can physically handle.

238688.jpg

Glitter isn't added to oil since it didn't make a good EP or AW additive. So, I'd be scared if I saw glitter in my oil too. Colloidal glitter???

But, those cars that sit for many months on a lot fall under the maintenance guideline of "mileage or TIME"... WHICHEVER COMES 1st, which sadly is so often forgotten by the dealer and consumer.

Neither of you really got what I said...

Change it because of TIME and dealer abuse, that is a valid, well formed argument and I can agree to that.

NOT

I saw metallic glitter in my oil...which I have never seen in a FF myself.

Luckily most of the cars I've purchased came new, with near 0 miles or used just ran through service. I never got a lot queen...yet.

Yet all this wear metal and the cars are fine, could it be true? You do realize the rings need to bed in and wear is actually needed. Changing the oil every 500 miles won't change it.

It is a habit that has no merit but like I said tradition dies hard. No one can prove without a doubt changing the FF at 500 miles has lengthened their engines life by XXX miles. We can prove NOT doing does no more harm than the average drive does anyway.

I mean just yesterday I heard a Pennzoil myth at Walmart...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Neither of you really got what I said...

Change it because of TIME and dealer abuse, that is a valid, well formed argument and I can agree to that.

NOT

I saw metallic glitter in my oil...which I have never seen in a FF myself.

Luckily most of the cars I've purchased came new, with near 0 miles or used just ran through service. I never got a lot queen...yet.

Yet all this wear metal and the cars are fine, could it be true? You do realize the rings need to bed in and wear is actually needed. Changing the oil every 500 miles won't change it.

It is a habit that has no merit but like I said tradition dies hard. No one can prove without a doubt changing the FF at 500 miles has lengthened their engines life by XXX miles. We can prove NOT doing does no more harm than the average drive does anyway.

I mean just yesterday I heard a Pennzoil myth at Walmart...

Just because YOU never saw it, does not mean it does not happen.

Many people have reported a metallic looking powder/glitter in the their FF oil. EVERY UOA of FF oil has much more wear metal in it than normal used oil. This is fact. There is no grey area here.

As for weather or not it does anything long term to change out the FF early, yea, there is no proof.

Is it needed to do an early oil change? No.

Again, it's a choice. Some like to change out the FF early.
The practice has MERIT. LOOK at ANY UOA of a factory fill oil. THERE is your Merit.

Wear metals from 1 UOA on an engine brand new does not make the case. It is expected to have higher readings and that metal is going to be there for a set amount of time. Oil changes may make no difference until the cycle has completed.

The practice has no merit because you can't gauge the long term benefits. It may psychologically have benefits for the human but not the machine.

I don't care really if people do it. However stating that you should because of the wear metals being in the oil without ANY proof they are doing long term damage is pure speculation. If anything they may be beneficial in bedding it your rings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back