Co-Worker's '04 Jetta Blew a Coolant Hose! SOS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to work, noticed coworkers 04 1.8 turbo jetta sitting in the parking lot, blowing steam and leaking coolant. The car was shut down maybe 10 mins earlier. went inside and got her to pop the hood; looks like a hose fitting on a ~1/2" dia hose routed at the left end near cam sprockets(facing engine from bumper) came undone from a barbed plastic fitting. This appears to go to the rear of the motor and converts to a metal pipe. Didnt spend much time looking, but VW/Audi guys: is this a turbo coolant hose or a heater hose? I think the hose originated out of a 1/4-turn valve w/vacuum actuator behind the radiator. I dont understand how this hose blew off the barbed fitting, it appear to have OEM hose clamp.

I don't know the answer but be careful not to be blamed for any issues the car may have. Your advice should be limited to having her tow the car to her favorite mechanic instead of driving it there [which is quite a sound advice worth about $2,000, IMHO]. Anything beyond that may expose you to liability or unpleasant working environment.

I agree 100%... I wouldn't TOUCH that car.. I helped a lady change a battery terminal...then two weeks later I got blamed for her brakes grinding.... AAARRRGG NEVER again.. I don't do any favors for people on cars anymore...Got burned and still bitter. Just have it towed
Dusty

Probably the hose rotted at the nipple. They tend to go out 1/2" from the clamp a lot for whatever reason, probably extra flexing and stress.

If you want to patch it (for example just to drive it over to a mechanic and save the tow fee) you can probably cut it back a few inches stick a barb in and a short length of new hose. But I'd make sure you know any special air burping procedures if you want to take this on.

Hose looked pretty good where it popped out. I dont know what coolant to use (G12?). But I told her to NOT drive it until, 1) the hose was reconnected and 2) you put some water or proper coolant in the car. I also said the coolant would need to have proper (gravity) protection as its going to get to 17F tonight. I dont mind helping her if it not too hard or dirty
wink.gif
If someone blames me later, I'll just tell them to !@#%&^&*!. Unless I did incompetent work, then I'd say, "Sorry". -
-
I have leaned a couple things:
1) Dont work on the Bosses car
2) Dont work on my Father's Bosses car
3) Dont jump the secretary's ratty 3.8 Taurus Wagon with your 95 Suzuki Aerio Sx. ... I smell smoke ... ... !!!!!!!&%^$#^&^!

If it popped once it might do it again! I would at a minimum get a new "fuel injection" hose clamp, they have little strips of metal under the worm drive that help them apply better pressure.

29664540038_large.jpg

Can you get any more specific?

Guessing it is most likely a hose to purge air from the head, might get routed to the heater core or back to the pressure tank.

VW's use constant flow heater cores & a pressured reservoir.

If she is going to drive it to the mechanic right away than distilled water is fine after you do a temp fix on the hose. Your are correct it needs G12 minimum(NO AFTERMARKET FLUID) or G12+. It is recommended that if you use G12+ to drain & refill so the color is consistent and no confusion occurs in the future.

Last edited:
I think we found it. It's the bottom of the three hoses going front-to-back along the left side of the head. It goes to a metal line that goes to the turbo housing (or near it at least). There was a plastic coupling that broke. IDK if the coupling was there from the factory.

I think one of the plastic couplers split. The ladie's husband came with some coolant (G12?) and a new coupler from the local VW dealer. I didnt go out to "help" ( watch
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I think one of the plastic couplers split. The ladie's husband came with some coolant (G12?) and a new coupler from the local VW dealer. I didnt go out to "help" ( watch
smile.gif

Ahhh I bet it was a heater hose connector...first I heard of them splitting. I always though they just broke in half haha.

Yuengling time!
11.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I agree 100%... I wouldn't TOUCH that car.. I helped a lady change a battery terminal...then two weeks later I got blamed for her brakes grinding.... AAARRRGG NEVER again.. I don't do any favors for people on cars anymore...Got burned and still bitter. Just have it towed
Dusty

Mechanics have to deal with this sort of stuff on daily basis, good example being doing AC service and 2 months later their timing belt snaps, you're the last one working on it so in their mind its your fault.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
smile.gif

Ahhh I bet it was a heater hose connector...first I heard of them splitting. I always though they just broke in half haha.

Yuengling time!
11.gif

It was a line to very near the turbo housing - the hose converted to a metal pipe and routed right to the turbo. I was not aware the VW tubo bearing jacket was water cooled. Could be wrong - but I was unwilling to get on the ground in my "office attire' and crawl under and visually verify where the pipe terminated.
-
Pacifico or CartaBlanca Harpoon IPA
smile.gif
Actually, I stopped drinking beer, wine, Scotch regularly when I was about 35. It's a kid thing growing up to drink massively, I guess.

Last edited:
Harpoon IPA isn't bad one bit
laugh.gif

Ya they are and an aux electric pump circulates water in the automatics after shutdown to the best of my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back