diesel oil in a gas car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wonder if anyone is using diesel oil in a gas car 15/40w(delvac, rotella, delo ) to combat oil consumption ?
I have a oil burner (Saturn sl2) with 150.000 miles on it , pretty much try every oil in the market and the only oil that reduces consumption is diesel oil , anything wrong with that ?

Last edited:
There is only one benefit and that is to reduce oil consumption.
BTW how bad is the oil burning? Do you have visible blue smoke?
I take it you've tried one of those polymer thickeners like STP?

could you not change viscosity to combat consumption? vs going to a "diesel" oil, thats what id do

Most HDEO's are SM approved for gasoline engines,so no nothing wrong with that, maybe some mileage loss or sluggishness but thats about it.

My 2 cents are your rings are stuck, do a MMO soak and it will cut back on oil usage by loads. No lie ethier, theres tales of peoples saturns burning a quirt every 500 miles and a MMO soak cuts it down too a 1/2 quirt every 5k

I use diesel oil in my gas car and it doesn't even consume a massive amounts of thinner oils.

If it cuts down on consumption I say go for it. It's probably cheaper than most gas engine oils anyhow.

I was told by another Saturn owner that " it WILL reduce your mileage and result in more wear on startup as your oil pump struggles to pump the heavier oil when it's cold."
any true to that ?
should I mix the diesel oil with a 10/30w oil , maybe 50% mix?

A friend of mine actually went into AZ to get Rotella 5w40 for his Jetta 1.8t and the worker would not sell it to him once he told him what car it was for. He kept saying it was a diesel oil and wouldn't work in his car and he couldn't buy it. Now he took it to his mechanic and has some 5w30 in it with a fram orange filter...

My 94 Saturn loved Chevron Delo 15w40. I ran that in the spring/summer, whatever was on sale in winter. Saturns can run for hundreds of thousands of miles burning up oil along the way. Just keep it topped off between 3000 mile changes and enjoy the good gas mileage. I used to check the oil with every gas fill-up, with a spare quart or two in the trunk.

"Diesel oil" doesn't necessarily mean thick. HDEOs come in all kinds of grades including 0W30.

If I was running it in a gasoline application I'd make sure to look for one that is "dual API rated", meaning that it will carry API SL/SM/SN in addition to API CI/CJ.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
I was told by another Saturn owner that " it WILL reduce your mileage and result in more wear on startup as your oil pump struggles to pump the heavier oil when it's cold."
any true to that ?
should I mix the diesel oil with a 10/30w oil , maybe 50% mix?

Yes there is truth in that; you don't want too run an oil any thicker than necessary.

Actually, Sal69's advice is a good one in so much as your oil control rings may be stuck. There are a number of remedies for that and it's something you may want to try first.

I'm using Ams ACD 10/30 in my 01 Blazer and the g/f 00 RAV4 w/good results and no issues. in fact it has the best uoa for the RAV I've had yet.
running Rotella T 15/40 in the 91 hot rod truck for now, but that is a summer only toy.
in general I think its the best bang for the buck.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
"Diesel oil" doesn't necessarily mean thick. HDEOs come in all kinds of grades including 0W30.
See, that's where I'm lost. Here, I can't seem to find any "HDEO" oil spec'd in the lower grades......10W30 and 5W30...The closest I got at my local WM was a SAE 30 straight weight oil....which "could" work in my 88 Dodge Aries.....at least according to my Hayne's manual "chart" for recommended oil...as long as the oil meets SJ or above, and the temperature is above 40 degrees Fahrenheit, according to their little thermometer clip art, I could safely use SAE30 in my engine.

And I think that's where a lot of the confusion comes from. When I first came to these forums looking for "clean up" routines (ala; Seafoam, MMO, Kerosene, etc....type crankcase cleaning) - many people mentioned HDEO oil for 500-1000 miles or so, drain, then change back to PCMO oil....BUT, never able to find any 10 or 5W30 grade "HDEO" oil. WM has plenty 10W40, 20W50, etc...though
smile.gif

But yea, gotta admit, the pint of MMO cleaned up my engine quick- let it run in the crankcase for a good 3-4k, oil came out black. Then put the old PYB 5-30 back in, by itself. All clear the next change (probably could have ran it longer than the 3.5k....but was worried of the residual MMO then) ......and in my previous Kia's, Seafoam at 1.5 oz per quart of oil, cleaned up a slightly cold-start tick/noise which one mechanic thought it could have just been a faulty orange can; so he tried another one, same noise.....went home, added the Seafoam, and the next morning the tick was gone at cold start.

So yea, give MMO and/or (not both at the same time...) Seafoam a try before you try using a diesel oil in your gasoline engine.

You shouldn't run 15W40 in an engine designed for 5W30. Perform a piston soak, then change the oil for a good high detergent 5W30. If you feel the "need" for HDEO use Rotella 5W40. You find the different grades anywhere that sells Medium to Heavy Duty truck parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back