No gas, how to mix methanol, kerosene and FP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lets get a heated debate started. I have 36 liters of kerosene, 12.5 liters of methanol, and a few pints of fuel power. Gas is not available currently. Suggestions on mixing the three to run in a regular unleaded gasoline car?

Originally Posted By: Shaman
So lets get a heated debate started. I have 36 liters of kerosene, 12.5 liters of methanol, and a few pints of fuel power. Gas is not available currently. Suggestions on mixing the three to run in a regular unleaded gasoline car?

Wow - that's a tough nut. The car won't run on kerosene (assuming it's a gasoline engine). It may run on methanol, but this may damage polymer hoses and seals and such, that said newer cars are more tolerant for such things. I guess if I were desperate enough I would put a pint of FP in the MeOH and give it a shot. I won't suggest a splash of kero, may not even go in solution. Keep that for heating or cooking.

Is the MeOH dry?

Mito? Whoa. That's not so far south of Sendai.

Japan works on RON ???

Methanol 106 RON, 6.5 A/F
Kero 0 RON, 14.5A/F...however Kero spark engines work knock free at 4-5:1 compression, so they DO have a knock rating, same as N-Heptene, the definition of zero.

Kero has no vapour pressure to speak of, methanol some, but not much around freezing.

A/F ratio favours kero, but not methanol.

Typically, 10-15% methanol is about as much as you'd want in petrol/kero etc. for separation issues...a little water makes that hard.

More can be dissolved with acetone or MEK.

Given where you are, and if you have to get somewhere, and damage to the fuel system isn't an issue, and you will be going really slowly, with no harsh acceleration...

I'd mix a small test batch of kero/methanolin the ratio that you've got and see if it separates...then decide my risk profile, what I was prepared to run, for how long...regardless, may need ether to start the engine in winter.

If it was an absolute emergency, I'd run some pretty wild fuel risks...major problems don't occur in minutes...

Just out of leisure, as a late teen, I melted in line fuel filters, cracked fuel pump diaphragms, corroded fuel lines, holed fuel floats with various blends of ethanols, MEK, acetone, diesel, kero, vegetable oil etc...and was rarely stopped by a fuel related issue (Carried diaphragme, screwdrivers and filters as spares).

Shaman,

Good to hear you're okay, so far. Man, it's scary what is happening over there.

From what I've seen, you're not actually that far from the danger zone - are you trying to get away to somewhere safe?

Good luck!!!

No, we are really lucky where I am. Unless something else hits, there shouldn't be a need for drastic mixing. i passed up on a nice WLT powered diesel Mazda MPV because the shop owner lied about the kms to my wife. Would have been really helpful. I would just mix 95% kero and 5% VO and drive till the problems let up, or I ran out of VO and kerosene.

Just wanted to add that my car seems to like 500ml of 95%methanol/5%ethanol, 1.5L of kerosene, and FP to get it to the brim. I use a water methanol system that starts at 5 psi and maxes at max boost, so the octane requirements (car calls for regular) are more than met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back