bring back the foot switch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that 80+% of US cars are automatics, I want the left-toe highbeam switch back!! I loved that in my old chevy that I drove in high school and college. I could actually get to it quicker with my toe than with my hands, and it wasn't as fatiguing on long night drives as constantly moving my hand back and forth from 10 to 9 or 8 to 9 or 6 to 9 and then back.

Have seriously thought about modding the jeep....

M

I put one in my wifes corsica when the column switch started flaking out. I didn't know or want to find out if I had to pull the airbag to fix it. That automatic car also had a great dead pedal for the left foot.

It's great cornering with both hands on the wheel and not moving any fingers when you suddenly are faced with another car!

Instant lawsuits claiming foot switch caused unattended(my term for it) acceleration.
Besides, a plastic foot switch wouldn't last, and being made in China we lose jobs, if we're outside of China that is.

I liked those foot switches too, nice big metal click click on, click click off. Simple and effective with little chance for error.

Ihave one in my early bronco. Bought it at the auto parts store. It is cast metal with a bid metal cap that you stomp on. I think you can still get them in the "Help" branded section of auto parts.

I have one of these on my 1973 Mercury Comet. It's a metal cap that you hit with your left foot to turn on the hi-beams. I don't really see the advantage. I'd rather do it with my hand on the steering column.

I've never seen a foot operated high beam switch. It sounds more cumbersome than the switch on the steering column.

Yeah, I be putting one in my car just as soon as I get done adjusting these rabbit ears on my black and white tv. Maybe then I can watch some Matlock reruns.
No thanks... I like the switch in its new improved location.

I never had a car with a column swith until I was probably 30 years old. Foot switches are nice.

I do not know if it would be practical to bring back foot switches these days. Back in the day, the foot switch was the one item on American cars that could always be counted on. My first car was a 1968 Oldsmobile I first drove in the 1970's. The car went through the hands of three prior drivers. The foot switch never failed and I bet it was clicked 100,000 times or more. In fact, I never heard of one failing on anyone.

Originally Posted By: meep
Now that 80+% of US cars are automatics, I want the left-toe highbeam switch back!! I loved that in my old chevy that I drove in high school and college. I could actually get to it quicker with my toe than with my hands, and it wasn't as fatiguing on long night drives as constantly moving my hand back and forth from 10 to 9 or 8 to 9 or 6 to 9 and then back.

Have seriously thought about modding the jeep....

M

I have one in my '65 Pontiac Bonneville.
The steering column switch is 10x better!!
Fatiguing??? If your getting fatigue from pushing/pulling a little lever with your finger, you need more than a toe switch!!!
48.gif

About half of todays cars have the parking brake over in that area anyway.

Now that 80+% of US cars are automatics, I want the left-toe highbeam switch back!!

+ + + + +x10,000,000,000,000,000

Putting the dimmer switch on the floor made more sense than on the stalk, even with manual transmissions. Seriously, have you EVER needed to dim your lights during a shift? And while cruising a lightly travelled rural road where I'm constantly needing to flick from bright to low to bright to low as cars approach, tapping my left toe is just SO much easier and more logical than taking my fingers off the wheel (or worse having to reposition my hand on the wheel on a curve) to do the same task while my left foot isn't doing anything at all.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that not only is the foot switch better, the stalk switch is pretty STUPID when you get right down to it. The stalk is over-worked already. On some vehicles, its routine to accidentally flash the brights and pulse the wipers when all you're trying to do is turn left.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I've never seen a foot operated high beam switch. It sounds more cumbersome than the switch on the steering column.

My God. I guess I'm really getting old, it never even crossed my mind that there are drivers out there who have never even SEEN a dimmer switch.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Now that 80+% of US cars are automatics, I want the left-toe highbeam switch back!!

+ + + + +x10,000,000,000,000,000

. Seriously, have you EVER needed to dim your lights during a shift?

Never.

Also, your worried about your hand not being free due to shifting??? What's your left foot doing????

What is: Working the Clutch!

Ding Ding Ding Ding, We have a winner!!!!!
banana2.gif

The first time I saw a stem-mounted high-beam switch, I swore it was some communist plot, but not having to deal with salt-corroded floor switches made me a convert to the stem-mounted switch.

I remember those foot switches for high beams. Problem was that your floor mat could interfere or worse, in a very old car the switch might get rusty and not work well. I guess I really don't miss the floor switch. What I do miss is the dayts when the typical car was rear wheel drive and and automatic transmission was an optional feature.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

My God. I guess I'm really getting old, it never even crossed my mind that there are drivers out there who have never even SEEN a dimmer switch.

or a hand crank for the window. I had to explain to my daughter's friend what was for.

Originally Posted By: Burt
.... or a hand crank for the window. I had to explain to my daughter's friend what was for.

Oh yeah, hand crank windows are the only way to go. Have them in two vehicles and the automatic windows in my wife's van drive me nuts.

Hee hee, my first new vehicle was a '77 F100 with manual transmission, mechanical clutch linkage (none of this sissy hydraulic assist stuff), manual steering (no hydraulic assist), no power booster for the brakes, no air conditioning. New, the truck cost $3500. Loved that truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back