Amsoil Series 2K, 0-30, 13,500 miles, Subaru Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I posted when I did. The Amsoil's quality questions, and now the dual bypass questions are making me question everything. One thing for sure, there were no weapons of mass destruction hiding in this oil sample.

quote:

Originally posted by trinket:
One thing for sure, there were no weapons of mass destruction hiding in this oil sample.

lol.gif

It's pretty clear to me that some people just search for reasons to RAG on one or oil another. I came to this site in hopes of a fair and balanced audience....maybe just a dream.

OAI always does a TBN, so I don't understand why not in this case.

As for particulate Si - some folks don't realize that this is exactly what a bypass filter will take out of the oil....but not "disolved" metals...SO, if the Si is not allowed to circulate (and grind) then of course there will be less wear metals.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
It's pretty clear to me that some people just search for reasons to RAG on one or oil another. I came to this site in hopes of a fair and balanced audience....maybe just a dream.

Pablo, this isn't Fox News. In my book, "fair and balanced" means calling it like you see it. There have been other UOAs posted where bypass filters have been used, and I don't recall any that had numbers this "outstanding."

We're all (presumably) adults here, so we should all be capable of handling a certain amount of "fair and balanced" criticism. I've ragged on Amsoil's series 2000 because from what's been posted on here about it, I can't see where it's all that special—and it's supposed to be Amsoil's "best." I'm more than willing to give ANY oil fair credit when such credit is due. But in the case of series 2000, more criticism seems due than credit.

quote:

Pablo, this isn't Fox News. In my book, "fair and balanced" means calling it like you see it. There have been other UOAs posted where bypass filters have been used, and I don't recall any that had numbers this "outstanding."

We're all (presumably) adults here, so we should all be capable of handling a certain amount of "fair and balanced" criticism. I've ragged on Amsoil's series 2000 because from what's been posted on here about it, I can't see where it's all that special—and it's supposed to be Amsoil's "best." I'm more than willing to give ANY oil fair credit when such credit is due. But in the case of series 2000, more criticism seems due than credit.

I know S2k is there "suppsedly" best oil, but I think we've been a little let down with it. This oil is all over the place. The only reason I push Mobil 1 so much is because I've always heard "Mobil 1 is too thin" , "Mobil 1 SS doesn't have enough esters" "Mobil 1 caused my engine to blow up" etc. You know what I see? Mobil 1 does a very good job consistantly. Yet when this oil is bad, it must be the engine.
rolleyes.gif

As far as this report goes, if this is what you can get with a bypass then I would HIGHLY recommend these to people trying to get good results with extended drains. I'd be very happy if oils consistantly held up much better with by pass filters and I think skepticism with extended drains would diminish.

also Pb=0??
It seems suspisious to me too Pablo...
confused.gif

"I came to this site in hopes of a fair and balanced audience....maybe just a dream"
Well ,i came to this site to avoid amsoil dealers but ....maybe just a dream.

quote:

Originally posted by yannis:
also Pb=0??
It seems suspisious to me too Pablo...
confused.gif

"I came to this site in hopes of a fair and balanced audience....maybe just a dream"
Well ,i came to this site to avoid amsoil dealers but ....maybe just a dream.

yannis ,
In my opinion,we have three straight-shooters on this site when it comes to Amsoil site-sponsers.Ted,Mike & Paul will impress you with their honest approach to lube questions.Give them a chance,bud.
Mark

[ June 17, 2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

G-man wrote:

quote:

What I mean is that specifically people expect this oil to be miracle oil or something. To go 35,000 miles with ZERO wear if it comes up short in their eyes - watch out. I know Amsoil makes the 35K or one year claim for this oil only and all the other recommended OCI's are way less - but this doesn't mean S2K 0W-30 is their BEST oil. ALL oils have limits. What oils are really better than this oil? A few of Amsoil's? Redline? Royal purple? Haven't seen many oils go past 10K or 15K....and have real low wear metals. Even if you cumulatively sum the wear metals of an the dino oils at 3000 miles over 10K-15K-20K - most often the numbers will be higher than a single crankcase of Amsoil 0W-30.

Everybody here is gangbusters over German Castrol 0W-30. I don't know much about this oil, maybe it's truly the best oil on the planet. But how many analysis' have we seen on this at 10K, 15K, 20K? If it does well, great, if not people will bag on it, I'm sure. But not the way they bag on Amsoil - only because of Amsoil's 35K claim, or Amsoil's marketing, or some exchange with some idiot Amsoil dealer, such as myself, I'm certain.

Lastly - Yannis - do you know me? Have I bombed you with email? Please - come at me with the facts. Because I'm an Amsoil dealer I have nothing to add? I paid a fee to be here as a sponsor, true - and yes there are many dealers that just lurk. But, just as there are Mobil1 sponsors, Schaefer's sponsors, Redline etc - none of us should be ignored because we have real world knowledge.

I too think the by-pass system is the ticket for extended drains as far as wear metals from the bearings and such. But there have also been some good points brought up about the Si numbers.

Sure the filters take care of it before it goes round and round through the rest of the engine. But I bet he is still getting mucho top end wear because of the way the dirt is introduced to the oil in the first place.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
My oh my, this is the new king of all UOAs! That is simply an incredible report! I wish most Subarus weren't so ugly, cuz they sure put good durable engines in them!
smile.gif

Hondas are ugly. Subarus are beautiful.

Originally posted by G-Man II:

Well...I find it interesting that this "oustanding" UOA appeared about 15 minutes after I asked the following question in another thread: Have we EVER seen a truly "outstanding" UOA with this Series 2000 stuff?

I thought the same thing when the UOA suddenly appeared!

[ June 15, 2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: ryansride2017 ]

I have to stick up for the Amway err...Amsoil
grin.gif
dealers on this site as well.

I think we have all seen them comment on various oils and even recommend other products. They aren't spamming the board with the whole enchilada of Amsoil "marketing".

I'm sure we've all been to other sites where the Amsoilers post biased links and sell constantly. I have not seen that here. I've practically given up on other sites or I put the dealers on my ignore list ASAP. There is no need to do that here. I've learned something from all of them.

PS - Hey metroplex, why don't you run Amsoil 5w-20 in your car?
lol.gif

patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Everybody here is gangbusters over German Castrol 0W-30. I don't know much about this oil, maybe it's truly the best oil on the planet. But how many analysis' have we seen on this at 10K, 15K, 20K?

Well, you know what Tacitus said: Omne ignotum pro magnifico. I find these sage words are particularly appropriate at times on this forum.
grin.gif

Omne ignotum pro magnifico - indeed...

I think everyone's eyes get opened with UOA's! The oil always seems magnificant when going in the 710 hatch. We just don't ignore it coming out the exit hole.

This is the only picure I have online of my truck.
The truck is a 2001 F-150 with 35k, running Amsoil S2k 0w-30 since 34k. I'm looking forward to an oil analysis once a year and plan to change out 3 quarts a year when I replace the filters. Total system is 8 quarts.

-

[ June 15, 2003, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: greencrew ]

I'd think this good UOA is due to the bypass filter setup and not the over-priced crummy Amsoil engine oil.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I'd think this good UOA is due to the bypass filter setup and not the over-priced crummy Amsoil engine oil.

Now you've really got me confused. You said the other day that you're an Amsoil dealer but then come up with a comment like that?
confused.gif

One more thing, I'm shocked that a K&N air filter only allowed in 1ppm of silicon in 13k. As a matter of fact it's almost too good to be true. Perhaps the bypass filter truly is taking out all the wear metals in this oil. It seems almost technically impossible for this UOA to be this good the more I think about it.

quote:

I'd say he is joking, but I love it!
lol.gif

Patman, I agree, it's almost impossible to have a UOA like this.

[ June 15, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back