Diesel as UCL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would there be any negatives to adding maybe 4oz of diesel fuel to 10 gallons of 87 octane in a gasser as a UCL?

In older cars, diesel was sometimes added in hot weather to prevent vapor lock. Many would add a gallon of diesel to a 20-gallon tank of gas. Not sure if it would affect the cats or O2 sensors on a modern car.

Just use MMO and be safe. I just think there were a lot of practices in older cars/trucks that would not work today. I think if it were a good option we would hear more about it. Plus you could put a qt. of MMO in your gas tank for the cost of 1 gal of diesel. So It is much more cost effective to use MMO anyway.

Diesel isn't even a good UCL when run 100% in a diesel engine. It would do you no good.

If you want an UCL, stick with 2-stroke, Marvel, Neutra 131 or 131c, Lubrigas, Moreys, Klotz, FP60, Tru-Blu, or Lucas in your fuel.

Biodiesel, if available near you, is an option. B100 will lube and clean.

Nothing to worry about with diesel and cats or o2.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Diesel isn't even a good UCL when run 100% in a diesel engine. It would do you no good.

Assuming you're talking about ULSD, of course
wink.gif

That being said, I agree with your post.

As dry is ULSD is today it would be of little use of any lubricity,diesel owners add additives to increase lubricity in diesel fuel as it is.

so no use something else.

I remember that test.
Sure seems odd about the MMO.
And it was a diesel, not gas.
But that is one particular engine in one test with who knows what accuracy.

Isn't the lubricity (sulfur) in diesel getting less and less - like now less than 500ppm in California, called ultra-low sulfur. Lower emission but lower lubricity, CARB

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Isn't the lubricity (sulfur) in diesel getting less and less - like now less than 500ppm in California, called ultra-low sulfur. Lower emission but lower lubricity, CARB

ULSD is 15ppm or less, the previous one is LSD 500ppm or less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Originally Posted By: Errtt

ULSD is 15ppm or less, the previous one is LSD 500ppm or less.
Oh yeah - b i g b r a i n f a r t - We used to have our low sulfur 500ppm, then it went to 15ppm ultra-low sulfur but was labeled DS-2 on our tanks. Some of our loads tested as low as 3% at one time.
(added) my bad

Last edited:
It makes the lubricity quality worst and it has caused a lot of business for the diesel pump shop. A lot of gelling in the first winter, etc. Thanks to the environmentalist???

If the gasser owner wants to add diesel as additive, it is up to them. I personally, would NOT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back