Cub Cadet 2542

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently looking at this machine and I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this model? It has a v-twin Kohler (command?) engine. The working hour meter shows 950 hours. It appears to be a very well maintained machine and even has the foot operated hydro controls on it. Specifically interested in the reliability of the engine and hydrostatic transmission.

The engines are amazing....I call mine my little Harley engine. I run Amsoil commercial 30 wt. in mine. I change the oil every other season and filter each season. The engine oil drains out like it was new....even after two seasons. Great engine! I have not had any problems with the hydrostatic transmisson or rear end. Great machine.

As I've already mentioned once before this week, Cub Cadet is now just another "brand" name of MTD/Yard Man. It may "say" Cub Cadet, but it is nothing more than an MTD product.

They're simply not the quality and construction that they used to be.

mrsilv04 is correct, cub is made by mtd and seem to become cheaper made every year. As for the kohler command its decent, but no way on par w kawasaki, honda, nor briggs vanguard. If I were looking for a used tractor, id set my sights on the john deere gt series (gt235 or gt245), or x300 series, then youd have a good mower and engine

The 2000 series are far from your typical MTD rider. Yeah, it's still MTD Corp. MTD has owned the Cub Cadet name for what ~30yrs now, yet they still pump out some great garden tractors based off old school designs.

I owned a Cub 2544. A 2005 model year that was the last of the 3-pc metal hood design. Same as the 2542, just a 3-bladed 44" deck as opposed to the twin blade 42".

They are shaft drive from the engine to the transaxle. The shaft is coupled to the hydrostatic drive, which is bolted to the input of the rear differential. It's a bullet-proof drive system that holds 6qts of oil and has a huge spin-on filter. Basically the differential housing is the oil sump.

They're very tough and comfortable machines. The only issue I had with mine was caused by my own stupidity. I got a front tire stuck in a deep rut and wrenched on the steering wheel too hard trying to get it out. This resulted in a sheared steering input shaft and I split the steering gear case open. This was all easily replaced with used eBay parts. Dealer parts were a bit pricey and had to be ordered, but that's common on any machine today.

This was my 2544. The only reason I don't have it anymore is I gave it to my father-in-law who was in dire need of a 'new' machine. I miss it.

The only issue I have with the 42" deck is it's ridiculously small for this machine. As you can see from my 2544, the 44" barely extends past the wheel base which makes close trimming a pain.

Don't let the MTD naysayers sour you. You never get past one post without someone dropping that bomb. Sure they're not the best money can buy, but I GUARANTEE you, it's the most new garden tractor you will get for your money. My 2544 cost me $2999 brand-new in 2005. An extremely capable machine for the money.

005-4.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
jtk, agreed its a decent machiene, and cub loved to brag on that drive shaft for years, and yes this model has it, so you gain a drive shaft and loose a drive belt, but you also add a horizontal shaft engine running a ridiculously over priced primary deck belt that is always in a bind via the mule drive (front pulleys) set up. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of noise that 3 piece metal hood setup makes as it vibrates all the time. I have a 16 yr old jd gt275 and i pull eveything with it, including my 18ft boat with a gm v6 inboard engine (heavy), and in 16 yrs ive replaced the drive belt once. So unless your draginng logs (wich none of them would do) Your not gaining a thing w that shaft. Except replacing a $60 primary deck belt every other yr

Colonel, in regards to the primary deck belt. The machine I owned is still on it's original and it hasn't had an easy life. It's 6yrs old, but only about 200hrs on it. I've chewed it up pretty bad by me not having it installed properly (twice in it's life), causing it to jump and jamb itself solid. A replacement is around $40 online. On top of that, it literally takes 30sec to remove/install. Tool and busted-knuckle free.

Vibrating hood? Have you used one of these machines? They're one of the quietest and smoothest machines I've owned. There's no vibrating or rattling of the hood at any engine RPM range.

Like said, fit/finish/controls layout/comfort isn't JD or Simplicity, but nor is the price.

FWIW, my family has owned JD's in the past that I've spent hour after hour in the seat and lots of wrench time on. A 110 (1970) and a GT262 (1992). Both awesome machines and I've got something to compare to. The 110 had some funky twisted belts too. No issues there.

Joel

Last edited:
yes ive used them, sold the 2000/2500 series for years, and brought em home and used them, took em to ppls homes and demoed them. I believe your belt is original but i also believe thats a first. I dont know how many parts ive sold for them over the years, even a long stretch of the headlight assambaly falling out and being ran over. Every time i took a deere and a cub out to demo, i nearly always got the deere sold over the cub regardless of price. I did like cub for one reason tho, they sure kept our techs busy. and im in way referecing old equipment (jd 110) as i had an ih made cub 129
for years and loved it!! but these cubs sure aint those cubs

Last edited:
Also note, ive been out of this since 06, but can remember the belt #954-3055a fit 2000 series 2 blade primary belt, and 954-3068 was the primary belt for the 3 blade decks, if that tells you anything, and i put more than 200 hrs on a mower in a yr, where youve (jtk) done that in 6 yrs wich is way way low hrs, and i doubt youll have that belt @350 hrs

Last edited:
Gentlemen, thank you for your thoughts and comments. I sold my John Deere 216 and 110 just after the holidays. They were rock solid machines. I had owned the 216 for 16-17 years. I found them them cumbersome to operate (and i'm not getting any younger) The primary and secondary drive belts for the transaxle/variator were a pain in the neck to change. The ignition points cover was bothersome for me to access, and i guess most of all, it was just time for a change. I have a couple of old Wheel Horses i bought on a whim and will keep 1 to restore. I really like the foot operated hydro's and a bagger is a must for me for leaf clean up in the fall. So I'm looking for a replacement. The cubby is coming up on a local auction sale and we'll see what it brings. I echo your sentiments JTK, and agree with you. A John Deere is certainly worth looking at. When i think of John Deere, i still think of them as an agricultural icon (which they are) and being from an agricultural back ground, still working in that vocation, I give great credence to there reliability. They have made a few dog's over the years, but for the most part we can associate them with high quality. BTW, i sold a cub 129 when i bought my 110 years ago. Excellent machine. I think the 2542 is probably king of the junk pile while better, more expensive model cub's are available. I'll buy it if the price is right.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
..I think the 2542 is probably king of the junk pile while better, more expensive model cub's are available. I'll buy it if the price is right.

If it is a 2500 series, more than likely it a 2005 or newer model. 900hrs is quite a bit, but nothing for the engine or trans on these. The key could have also been left on. Prior to 2005, models with the 42" deck started with 20xx or 21xx. Some of the 2000's had Briggs Vanguard engines, some had Onan single cylinders or Kohler Command singles. The single cylinder equipped models weren't quite as smooth as the V-twin powered.

Per Cub fashion, resale is low, so that particular 2542 would be worth $500-800 I'd think.

Joel

if it looks good, like joels pic id go $750 myself, thats reasonable for a mower, but if its missing the headlight assy or also look for a broken rear mower hanger (common on those), or other issues $400 tops, honestly these mowers arent worth writing home about. Last month i bought a 1998 john deere LX188 that looked show room condition, its a lawn tractor so smaller wheels/tires and a key way on wheel/axel not a hub, has a 48c deck, a 17 hp liquid cooled kawasaki v-twin, and a 2 bag unused bagger for $950, granted i didnt need it, but those sold for 4k new and again its in show room condition! so if you look hard enough you can find a good deal.

Broken hanger mounts on the deck are common on JD units too if the owner allowed the deck to ride on the ground instead of 'hanging' the way they are supposed to.

kc, those JD liquid cooled LX series are nice, but good luck to you when the water pump starts leaking on that Kawi (and it will). Last I knew the water pumps were basically unavailable.

Shall we keep going with the JD vs. Cub debate that the original poster didn't even inquire about in this thread?

Joel

joel, i thought i pretty well caved and said give $750 if it looks like your pic, i dont know of many broken hanger deere mounts, seen many cubs tho! and id take an lx188 any day over any mtd made since 1981 cub cadet, cub has a good mower and thats the what was guess its still called "tank" series with fabricated (not stamped) decks and kawasaki engines. i do like kohler for a product and have 3 in my home, theyre toilets. you said yourself cub doesnt have much of a resale value, and the reason is, theyre not much to start with!! im in no way defending the johndeere [censored] sold in lowes or any other box store! i simply wanted to give this gentleman some well experienced insight thats the truth! owning one for 6yrs w 200 hrs isnt experience, looking ppl that buy them daily and backing it up is! seeing a shop full of cub is experience and trying to be honest w ppl is a good thing! again id give $750 if it looks like your pic

The almighty "mower shop salesman" has spoken. Unreal. Colonel you never cease to amaze me.

Joel

joel, youre the only one i see backing mtd/cub on here, im glad youre proud of youre mower. and i said id buy it if it looked like your pic, what more you want from me? i only give 30 plus yrs of running a large dealership experience! and cub WILL keep a shop busy! if you dont like the truth, i dont know what else to say. again whom else is backing cub in this thread? i was around this stuff daily for 30 plus yrs, i guess i know what im talking about

Last edited:
better yet, joel you show me a pic of a 16 yr ol mtd/cub 2000/2500 seires tractor thats still going then we'll talk! as my 16 yr ol jd gt275 looks as if it were in show room condition! EDIT: infact i invite anyone w a cub 2000/2500/3000 series mower that is 10 yrs old to testify to their greatness????????? any takers? i doubt it, most in junk yard

Last edited:
but joel if we get 4 honest testimonies of 10 yr old cub/mtd 2000/2500/3000 series mowers still running good, un welded, and all body parts in tacact, ill leave the ope section for good, mean while im selling snow balls in [censored], i just dont brag on junk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back