Magic Jack + Thin Client

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody doing this? How's it working out?

I was using my ATA from the defunct SunRocket VOIP provider with the Gizmo project. Now that is going away. Google bought it and is killing it. I did some searching and found Sipgate which offers a similar VOIP service where you can use an ATA, but they are out of phone numbers. Probably because Google killed Gizmo.

Anyway, I figured I would do the Magic Jack and thin client combo. You can pickup a suitable referb thin client on fleabay for under a hundred bux.

So, anyone doing this? ... Any drawbacks?

Anybody hack the Magic Jack SIP credentials and use them with an ATA?

Just a regular old magicjack user here with a lousy 9 year old laptop that won't hold a charge. Sound quality is better than it was a year ago when I signed up.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
You can get phone numbers in 27 states with Sipgate, I thought. Or a free number in California.

Not anymore. They are out of numbers - period.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Could you sign up for Google Voice? They give you a phone number.

I could but Google won't give you the SIP credentials to setup an ATA for outgoing calls. I want to use a real, (traditional), phone not some usb phone that connects to the computer.

I have a MajicJack plugged into an old laptop hooked to the phone lines at home. We hardly use it as it is not very reliable for incoming calls. We can control the outgoing calls - if it is not working then we can unplug/plug back in the USB device.

Overall, I would give MajicJack an F+.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I have a MajicJack plugged into an old laptop hooked to the phone lines at home. We hardly use it as it is not very reliable for incoming calls. We can control the outgoing calls - if it is not working then we can unplug/plug back in the USB device.

LOL, so I guess you wouldn't recommend it. I would only use it for out going long distance calls.

Did you try it on any newer/faster computers? Did you go into the task manager an raise the process priority? How many phones are on the line?

It is the only other explicit application running aside from the antivirus. There are two phones on the line.

For outgoing calls it would be a good choice since you can control it. But I have become accustomed to making phone calls from GMail to phone lines (I don't know if you have to have a Google Voice number for that or whether it is available to everyone).

I set my XP laptop up to reboot every morning at 3 am in case MJ caused a memory leak or other fracas.

Wife still wants a landline "for emergencies" so we let most incoming calls come in on that. I use the MJ number for craigslist sales and other stuff I don't want reverse-traced, and also b/c it can be forwarded to a cell.

Originally Posted By: xlt4me
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

LOL, so I guess you wouldn't recommend it. I would only use it for out going long distance calls.

Did you try it on any newer/faster computers? Did you go into the task manager an raise the process priority? How many phones are on the line?

That is how we use our Magic Jack, from outgoing long distance calls. All incoming and local calls are done through the landline.

It is very nice and simple: When you want to make a call, you plug the Magic Jack in an USB port and less than a minute later, you can call.

I use it for months now, calling my parents in Europe, sound quality is good and it seems I still have 3 hours of calling left everytime I want to call. I think the rate to Europe is 1cts/minute or something, really cheap.

I wouldn't use it as my only phone line as I don't like to let my computer on all the time.

I use one, and it's awesome--- though not without occasional faults if the internet connection is having a bad day. pays for itself pretty quickly if your internets is good.

power consumption is an issue to think about. so, good if you have a "thin client" as you say; like, an old laptop, or a fairly energy efficient desktop. I leave mine running in the winter almost 24/7, with boinc running as well. no need to reboot or memory leak issues. in the summer though, I turn it off at night and back on in the morning.

I've been using MJ for well over a year. Most of the time issues are caused by infected computers (slow) or poor internet connections. Mine has been pretty stable, you can't go wrong for the price.

I believe MJ now has a product that's standalone, not sure if it's out yet though.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
I've been using MJ for well over a year. Most of the time issues are caused by infected computers (slow) or poor internet connections. Mine has been pretty stable, you can't go wrong for the price.

I believe MJ now has a product that's standalone, not sure if it's out yet though.

They announced the MagicJack Plus which is essentially the same as the netTALK Duo but as yet they have not delivered a product.

UPDATE:

I just got it and hooked it up. So far A+ !

I haven't done any tweaking on the router and the call quality is like a POTS line ... like calling next door. It's much better than my Gizmo5 / ATA setup. I haven't setup forwarding my Google Voice line to it yet. Some people have had issues with that. If you decide to buy one, check there web site first. Some people have had trouble with some brands and models of routers.

They also had plenty of phone numbers in my local area code... no more California phone number like Gizmo was.

what happened with magicjack being able to use sim card cell phones to make phone calls? did the cell phone companies sue them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back