General Altimax Arctic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Oh, and both tires are studded.

Both?
confused2.gif

I've had mine on for about 3 weeks, and have had nothing but dry weather. Pretty bad when I'm wanting bad roads -- just to test out the winter tires. This is my first set of dedicated "snows".

Craig,

The tire size is same as OEM. My summer tires are different, and I use a different pressure for those. I just always like a slightly firmer tire feel, but I want what is best for icy/snowy roads.

Ill drop the pressure down to sticker pressure for now.

Originally Posted By: weebl
Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Oh, and both tires are studded.

Both?
confused2.gif

Both as in both sets of 4, let me clarify. So yes, the set of Generals and the set of Kellys are studded.

I just put the Altimax Arctics on my Impala. Drove a 4x4 F150 with Blizzaks last winter. So, I really have a high bar to compare these tires to. We got hit with a snow storm a couple of days ago that put a lot of thick slush on the roads. These tires went through the slush very well. After a few miles, I was feeling as confident as I did in the truck with the Blizzaks. I was passing a lot of 4 wheel drive vehicles.

The only thing that I am going to have to get used to is the slush hitting the wheel wells when I'm plowing through it at highway speeds. The tires don't slip at all, but I don't want the slush to sandblast my paint off. Since the truck is higher off the ground, this wasn't an issue last year.

Bottom line, I love the Altimax Arctics just as much as I did the Blizzaks.

The Generals on my Buick are slowly making me into a convert. They plowed through some loose, drifty snow about 2-3" deep this morning heading up a steep hill. I got caught behind a car that couldn't climb the snow-covered road, got down to ~10-15 mph, then made it past that car and up the rest of the hill to work. I was inside setting up for 10 minutes before that other car made it into the parking lot.

Plus in an unexpected slide this morning, the Generals proved they are very controllable and drama-free in recovering from having the rear end step out around a corner.

I put my tires on just in time with this crazy lake effect snow hitting NE Ohio!

My first impressions of the General Altimax's... Awesome! My first snow tire, and I will never be without them again. On the way home this morning I had an hour of snow filled freeways with slushy lane changes and slick roads. The tires were not phased one bit. I was able to go near the speed limit confidently. No slippage, no kick in with ESC and crossed lanes and slushy areas with ease. Braking is very good with hard packed snow, just do not SLAM the brakes and expect them to stop you on a dime. They grip and slow you down very well. Same goes with acceleration. If you are gentle, they hold up very well. My all-seasons would slip and slide like crazy. If I pushed the brake, I would slide a good 20+ feet (beyond my target) before I would stop, it was terrible. These stop with minimal slip and really make you feel more in control. They give you confidence driving, and I love that.

I will report more when I get even more drive time with them. But for now, I am very impressed.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was stuck in the terrible Cleveland lake effect downtown... Took me 3.5hrs to get home, when it usually takes less than ten minutes. It was a complete mess.

At our chance to get out of the traffic, we went down this very steep grade out of the city. Very steep. Completed covered in thick, wet snow. I was able to make it the entire way down without one slip of the tires braking constantly on the way down. Two vehicles were unable to make it up the hill (why they going up I would have no clue!).

And we also had to go up a pretty steep incline to get back to where we needed to go and went up with no trouble. You had some slips and spins here and there, but you keep your grip. You feel more in control for sure.

Liked how these tires did yesterday. Another huge storm rolling in Sunday... Spring yet?

Are they the best snow tires made? No.

Are they almost impossible to beat for the performance delivered for the cost? Yes.

Settling into my 2nd winter with the Altimax's and I love them as much as when I first got them.
I have Altimax Arctic's on my sedan, and Bridgestone WS-70's on my wagon. So far very hard to tell a difference. The Bridgestones were more $, therefore making the General's probably a better value.

Updating this thread with my impressions after a winter driving on a set of brand-new Arctics in 205/70-15 on my Buick.

For inexpensive snow tires, these things are grippy in the wet and dry. They also handled the slushy junk this winter seemed to throw at us predictably. They weren't the best/grippiest in the slush, but were quite predictable in their behavior. I did indeed slide around some corners, and the tires gave plenty of warning that they'd slide, then came right back in when traction was regained. The few times we got deep snow, they did very well, going through it like champs. Between these tires and ABS I was able to stop predictably. Driving cautiously helped there too.

So, they may not be the "best". They are very predictable and communicative about levels of grip and road conditions, so that more than makes up for the shortcomings.

I'd buy another set when these wear out. Finding another snow tire anywhere near this good at a similar price is a tough proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back