1998 Ford F-150 4.2L with Lifter Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
the colone engine eventually turned into the 4.0 that was in rangers,explorers, and now mustangs (if I remember right)

absolutely no relation to the 3.8/4.2

I've had this F-150 for about a year now and I've had the same fill in there the whole time.

It has only been about 4,000 miles in the past year, but It does regularly get up to temp. With it being 102 in the afternoons it doesn't take much. And with me going up and down highways when I do drive it I believe the oil is doing fine.

I planned on going 7,000 miles on this OCI. However I am kind of bored with it. The Lifter tick is still there, although the oil is BLACK. And from what I can see using a flashlight to look at the lifters on the drivers side the engine is EXTREMELY clean. No sludge and very little if any varnish.

Like I was saying. I got bored and realizing that I am now a quart low on the dipstick I decided to add a quart of MMO.
I will take it out on a drive tonight and see how it does.

I'm thinking it might take me another 6 months to rack up the 3,000 miles to make this a 7,000 mile OCI. But I plan on doing a UOA and posting it when I am done.

Cool update - looking forward to the results!

Like a couple of others said, for your next fill I'd go with a 5W-40 HDEO.

i had a 99 with this same engine and i loved it, i used 10w-30 syntec and a motorcraft filter with no useage or noise with 150,000 on the clock when i sold it. fwiw i changed the oil every 4k, i know a little overkill.

Old thread I know Just a result for anyone else who had this situation. FWIW:

Put a replacement 4.2 in my 2001 F 150 due to lower intake manifold coolant leak in my original (115K). Found a great deal on a the engine (58K) and was cheaper than rebuild.
The replacement had a valve tick. Tried MMO for 5 K, no diff. I decided to live with tick.

After 10 K, Used Valvoline synpower 5-20 and motorcraft filter as they were out of PP 5-20 and Purolater. For what ever reason the tick stopped. Awful science I know, but it no longer taps. Maybe devine intervention, or Vavoline Synpower is a miracle fluid, or better flow with motorcraft filter.....
Who knows
21.gif

I run PP in 4 vehicles No way a bash on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back