Tapping US stockpile of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
One of my signposts to say that the economy hasn't gotten bad enough is that I still see people flying by on the interstate at 80+ mph in SUV's...by themselves in the vehicle. Clearly, the economy is not really bad enough yet.

So you're HOPING we have a depression just so everyone will be FORCED to drive what YOU think is an acceptable vehicle?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Shannow
IMO, it's pretty shortsighted.

Had some UK engineers on site a few years ago, and we were discussing coal...UK has heaps, but imports heaps too.

Their strategic attitude is that while they are importing coal, they are preserving their resources for "fortress UK" if necessary, and that having reserves that they could extract (at a cost) sends the market the signals that keep prices reasonable.

Coal power plants have been phased out here due to the negative health effects. Last one was to close in 2009 but now will close in a 2014. Then we only have to worry about the emission from US coal plants as they drift north. Thanks Guys!
21.gif

I think you need an energy policy. US consuption is 10,000 Gals per second according to John Hoffmeister:
http://gigaom.com/cleantech/john-hofmeister-were-going-about-energy-policy-planlessly/

The emissions from our coal plants don't cause any problems. Why worry about it? As for our 10,000 gallons a minute. I'm proud to say I participate in that. Furthermore, there are 300,000,000 people living in the U.S opposed to what up in Canada, 30,000,000? We have a $14 trillion a year economy. How do you run that with no fuel? Do tell!

I would have no problem at all cutting our usage of fuel if we would stop giving our money away to the rest of the world. I may also add that we have companies from countries all over the globe here in the U.S. drilling and mining for OUR natural resources which is unconstitutional.

Canada is just one of them. I'm all for putting a stop to that. There would be far less fuel usage if that came to a stop. France is even here taking part in it.

Just stopping foreign aid and getting us out of all the treaties we have signed as well as bringing our military home from the 150+ countries we feed, protect and defend would probably make quite a dent in our use of fuel. Don't you think? I'm all for that as well.

We do have an energy policy,It's called drill here, drill now, drill everywhere. DRILL, DRILL, DRILL. For our OWN oil. Build more nuke plants. Unfortunately, our government isn't as smart as we are and they don't want to listen to us.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
That is what America is all about, freedom to choose!
I'm sure others could find stuff you own and say there is no need for you to own that.

And I'm sure he would be glad to hear about it, as I would.

By the way, you know the freedom to choose is only half the story, right? Here's the other half: someone's right to throw his fists ends at your nose. When someone else's bad choices start affecting you, you get to say something about it. People who buy and drive oversized, overweight vehicles for no reason other than their own egos (bolded to prevent confusion with people who actually do need such vehicles) are making decisions that negatively impact everyone in the long run; thus, we get to say something about it.

You're right about throwing fists and that goes both ways. Reality dictates that there are parts of the country where a go-kart or electric car can't be used. I live in one of them. Second of all just because you see someone driving a large SUV with only them in it doesn't mean that is always the case. Since when is it up to you to dictate how someone else spends their money. You should mind your own business.

Larger vehicles have larger capacity to carry things. Just because YOU don't need a diesel dualie pick-up doesn't give you the right to order someone else to drive what YOU think is appropriate especially when your opinion is based on one of the biggest lies we have ever been told. An oil shortage that doesn't exist and climate change that doesn't exist either.

Last but not least, I don't own a dualie PU or a huge SUV. I'm just pointing out that you should get a clue before you start barking out orders based on lies.

There are ALSO those that are intelligent enough to figure out that these little go-karts you people are ordering everyone to drive are deadly in an accident and since you started getting your way more people are DEAD because of it.

It's not ALL about ego or even the intended use of the vehicle.

Straw men don't like it when you pick on them.

Calm down, take a deep breath, and let us know when you're willing to drop the emotional outbursts and engage rationally with what's actually being said.

Straw men don't like it when you pick on them.

Calm down, take a deep breath, and let us know when you're willing to drop the emotional outbursts and engage rationally with what's actually being said.

Afrter YOU get a clue. Do some research Before you run your mouth.

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
150+ countries we feed, protect and defend

You feed 150+ countries ?

teach me...

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
If you can afford that big ole truck or SUV..... then you can easily afford to fill it up at the pump.

Tell that to the the small business owner who is already overtaxed! You really do HATE America, don't you?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
150+ countries we feed, protect and defend

You feed 150+ countries ?

teach me...

My taxes do! Read up on it!

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&xhr=t&q=Trvlr500%27s+taxes&cp=16&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=Trvlr500%27s+taxes&pbx=1&fp=148f16e8b80e48d0

Pretty light on detail...teach me.

Light on detail, Shannow? Who is the first country to hand out the billions every time there is a disaster around the world. The details have been on the news for decades. Which country's wealth funds the majority of the global, "let's all get together" feel good session to the point they are bankrupt.

lol.gif

Go ahead and laugh. Once you've helped collapse the economy the rest of the way I'm sure you'll change your tune.

OK, back to the original question.

This supply disruption is small, and price rises have been moderate. Protecting consumers against normal market variations should not be the goal of a strategic reserve... and may even be counter productive. Encouraging people to purchase guzzlers that leave them overextended, and expecting government intervention to protect them from their poor choices is never a good idea.

Like a small burn, maybe several tanks of $5 gas will help a few to see the wisdom of purchasing a vehicle that will not bankrupt them if gas rises.

Save the strategic reserve for a real emergency... perhaps a revolution in Saudi Arabia that took 8 million barrels a day off the world market would qualify.

Can't we all just get along ?
21.gif

Why all the hate and trash talking.

Lots of people unhappy with gas prices, get over it and just pay the price.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Lots of people unhappy with gas prices, get over it and just pay the price.

People my age and older have no right to be unhappy. After all, we have had THIRTY-EIGHT YEARS to prepare for the current situation.

Last edited:
I think the gov't should sit tight. All taping the reserve is going to do is create fear and cause the speculators to drive the prices even higher. Markets are driven by supply, demand, fear, and greed. Tap the reserve, toss some more fear into the mix, and drive the prices even higher. What people should try and do is carpool, or drive a little less whenever possible. That will help cut the demand, which might take a bite out of some of the greed. JMO

Light on detail, Shannow?

You made an explicit statement about feeding 150+ countries, I asked you to back it up.

Wasn't my statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back