Kreen Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like a perfect candidate for Kreen,dont be surprised if the oil is a dark redish brown color after 1K.

Edit: If this is a 3.5 be sure to check the PCV

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Any more updates?

I added a pint to my 03 Acura MDX yesterday and will leave it in for 1K miles and then do an OCI.

yep... the daughter's 2.4 mitsu motor is still quiet, no tick. In fact, it "seems" even quieter overall at idle the longer it goes. Probably been about 300 miles since I added the first Kreen dose. I added a few more ounces last week and the oil on the dipstick is even darker now. Not black, just very dark brown, bit of a reddish tint as Trav pointed out. A few days after the first dose it was a slight bit darker, but not much. After the second smaller dose last week it became much darker. I'm assuming that means it's cleaning well. Got a jug of maxlife 5/30 waiting to drop in, hopefully this weekend.

I plan on a few longer highway drives within the next week to see if that will start the cleaning. I am assuming that short runs are not as effective.

Do I need to replace the PCV or just clean it after the first 1K run?

The 3.5 in 2005 (not sure about other years) used a very small thin tube in the valve cover right in front it is held in by a 10mm head bolt,it has no hose connected to it.
I would just get a new one from Honda as it seemed to be a difficult design to clean out thoroughly.IIRC i paid $11

From what i have seen nothing really noticeable other than deposits begin to form quickly once the valve gets partially plugged.
The mechanics at Honda told me around 30K for these,when you look at you can see why,the holes in the rear of the valve are tiny.

Originally Posted By: Trav
From what i have seen nothing really noticeable other than deposits begin to form quickly once the valve gets partially plugged.
The mechanics at Honda told me around 30K for these,when you look at you can see why,the holes in the rear of the valve are tiny.

Trav, do you have any thoughts on routine PCV maintenance or replacement, is this an area that is often overlooked.

I have never changed the PCV with my wifes 03 Acura MDX which has 133K miles(owned since new). Maybe its due, LOL. I ordered one today BUT should I wait until I am done with the Kreen runs?

I don't care for these long service intervals being recommended by manufacturers these days.
IMHO they just shift the cost of maintenance down the road sometimes with real negative consequences.
One of these being engine deposits on some vehicles because of a neglected PCV valve.

I see so many engines that have the PCV in obscure locations,some bolted in,screwed in,hidden under covers etc.
These more often than not get neglected simply because they cant be easily found and the darn manuals don't specify a change interval.
With tune ups sometimes being specified at 100K chance are the poor PCV doesn't get serviced either,
even then if its not stuck right in the valve cover with a hose connected to it there is a good chance it remains in there for the next round.

Many cars today have screw in valves that are difficult to find,look for the valve even on a GM 3800 GENII engine.
I go 30-50K and change them,this seems to keep things in good working order.

One last thought is using OEM valves instead of aftermarket.
There is such a difference in quality these days that using aftermarket valves can be inviting problems,IMO go OEM.

On the Honda 3.5 Odyssey, the PCV valve seems to have been intentionally put in a very difficult position. The fresh air intake tube is on the front cylinder bank and the PCV valve is on the rear cylinder bank. Unless there is a specific technical reason against it, Honda could have put the fresh air in the back and have the PCV right in the front where it could have been easily accessible.

- Vikas

Quote:

I don't care for these long service intervals being recommended by manufacturers these days.

+1

Quote:
IMHO they just shift the cost of maintenance down the road sometimes with real negative consequences.
One of these being engine deposits on some vehicles because of a neglected PCV valve.

Even with proper PCV Valve replacement, you could still have deposits with extended OCI's.

Quote:
One last thought is using OEM valves instead of aftermarket.
There is such a difference in quality these days that using aftermarket valves can be inviting problems,IMO go OEM.

+1

Originally Posted By: Trav
Was this the long tube style?

Yes. Wells part# # 6P1243 PCV374

03 MDX. Unscrew 10MM bolt, remove old PCV and insert new PCV. Was right next to the dipstick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back