so find out my T56 should not use synthetic fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few month ago I change out fluid on my 97 camaro z28 6 speed T56, after many here recomment Mobil 1 ATF, I use it and it made my transmission shift smooth, but after reading so many negative thing about using synthetic on T56, cause of paper blocker rings, synthetic will eat away that paper thing. I think I have to back to regular dex/mercon fluid, what do you guy recomment ? I drive my car year round.

Too late. Stick with the M1.

Or, use a single spec ATF, like Amsoil ATD, Redline ATF(not D4 but the DexronII version), or a TES295(Allison ATF) fluid.

Problem with anyone that claims that a synthetic will eat away needs to tell you whick synthetic does that. Noone will have an answer to that because its...

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Or, use a single spec ATF, like Amsoil ATD, Redline ATF(not D4 but the DexronII version), or a TES295(Allison ATF) fluid.

Problem with anyone that claims that a synthetic will eat away needs to tell you whick synthetic does that. Noone will have an answer to that because its...

its wat ? complete your sentence

Originally Posted By: CamaroT56

I was thinking of a profanity that uses the letters B and S
wink.gif
and got the impression he left the "..." for you to fill that one in for yourself.

Those particular trannys have special needs.
Proper ATF is usually a good choice. I have not heard that synthetic ATF was any problem at all. Modern ATFs are partially synthetic, anyway.
Some have had success with lighter manual trans lubes - the synchromesh variety.

Few month ago I change out fluid on my 97 camaro z28 6 speed T56, after many here recomment Mobil 1 ATF, I use it and it made my transmission shift smooth, but after reading so many negative thing about using synthetic on T56, cause of paper blocker rings, synthetic will eat away that paper thing. I think I have to back to regular dex/mercon fluid, what do you guy recomment ? I drive my car year round.

Did you hear this on the LS1Tech forums??

I used to believe this as well (at least for the 'paper' [actually cellulose composite], NON-carbon fiber blocker rings), and also fell prey to all of the warnings and hype on the LS1 forums.

But then some of the most reputable T56 rebuilders in the country (world??) started suggesting Mobil 1 ATF, as well as other synthetics (even in stock, un-rebuilt, not upgraded with the cf blocker rings, T56es) for use in our gearboxes.

Late model domestic musclecar autocross guru extraodinaire, Sam Strano has used Redline D4 in the stock, unrebuilt, older model, T56 of a daily driven, 275K+ mile E Street Prepared national title winning LS1 Z28 for the last 12+ years with NO ill effects.

So I put this stuff in and NEVER looked back (except for sometimes switching to RL MTL in the hotter summer weather).
I DID NOT have to ("look back") as it has been perfect ever since!!
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

If you press them long enough, even the techs at Tremec will admit that the Mobil 1 stuff is A OK in the 'paper' ringed T56es (as they did to me).

YOU HAVE NO WORRIES WHATSOEVER!!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I used to believe this as well (at least for the 'paper' [actually cellulose composite], NON-carbon fiber blocker rings), and also fell prey to all of the warnings and hype on the LS1 forums.

But then some of the most reputable T56 rebuilders in the country (world??) started suggesting Mobil 1 ATF, as well as other synthetics (even in stock, un-rebuilt, not upgraded with the cf blocker rings, T56es) for use in our gearboxes.

Late model domestic musclecar autocross guru extraodinaire, Sam Strano has used Redline D4 in the stock, unrebuilt, older model, T56 of a daily driven, 275K+ mile E Street Prepared national title winning LS1 Z28 for the last 12+ years with NO ill effects.

So I put this stuff in and NEVER looked back (except for sometimes switching to RL MTL in the hotter summer weather).
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

If you press them long enough, even the techs at Tremec will admit that the Mobil 1 stuff is A OK in the 'paper' ringed T56es (as they did to me).

U just made my day, while I was at work today, I was having good feeling to keep mobil 1 in their, since it work perfect, then i get home read your message, im plan to keep it 30k miles , lol ty so much

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I was thinking of a profanity that uses the letters B and S
wink.gif
and got the impression he left the "..." for you to fill that one in for yourself.

u also made my day lol. ty

T56 of a daily driven, 275K+ mile E Street Prepared national title winning

i didn't know Sam's previous white camaro had 275K?? did he drive all over to different states to compete?

i've used D4, M1, Formula Shell and MaxLife ATF in the T56. currently MaxLife, people say its a syn

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]
T56 of a daily driven, 275K+ mile E Street Prepared national title winning

i didn't know Sam's previous white camaro had 275K?? did he drive all over to different states to compete?

It was a daily driver even before it was a Solo 2 car, and it remained a daily driver during and even after it's E/SP campaigns, to this day, I believe.
I'm going to guess that yes, he did drive it to all of the various national points event locales, using a small tire trailer to carry the donuts/spares/various sundries.
wink.gif

What about RP Synchromax?

I have an old IROC with the WC T5. I've been running a 50/50 mix of Synchromax and M1 ATF. Works just fine!

Synchromax is awesome stuff! My friend runs it in his twin turbo 300ZX and it shifts like a dream!

wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

AFAIK, Borg Warner makes the T56.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

AFAIK, Borg Warner makes the T56.

They did make the early, original T56es, but production/copyrights/etc. was sold/switched to Tremec.
I'm not exactly sure when this happened, but I'm going to guess around '98-'99, so yes, CamaroT56's gearbox may very well have been made by BW.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Tremo
What about RP Synchromax?

I have an old IROC with the WC T5. I've been running a 50/50 mix of Synchromax and M1 ATF. Works just fine!

My T56 REALLY did not 'like' the straight RP stuff. I dumped it 2 days after I put it in such was the grinding.

It does seem that others with the same gearbox have had good luck with it though.
21.gif

I just switched mine over to Redline D4 ATF, dumping the RP. At cold temperatures, the syncro's would drag with the RP. The Redline has reduced, but not completely eliminated it. I've been changing the trans fluid every 50k miles, and used the RP for 100k.

I've got a long way to go if I'm going to beat Sam Strano's 275k miles. But I know I'll never win a Solo II national championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back