Hit a curb with relatively-new tires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. The other night I scuffed a curb that I took too sharply(from a stop of all things) and it created a semi-goose egg effect on the front passenger side and a scuff mark alone on the rear tire. These are the Pirelli P4s, rated for up to 85k mile warranty.

I would like to get someone's input that knows about how running over a curb may affect the tire, let alone lifespan?

Thanks.

The scuff mark on the rear tire is probably okay, but the front passenger tire may sustain a heavier damage and it compromises the integrity of the side wall, check with your tire shop and/or Pirelli to see if they have road hazard warranty on the tire.

I don't think it matters just as long as the rim isnt damaged. If it still rides good with no vibrations then it's probably fine. Oops I didn't read that it had bulge in the tire. In that case I would take some soapy water to the tire and wash off the scuff mark and then go get the tire warrantied and hopefully they won't see that you ran into something.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it still rolls smooth good down the highway forget about it.

A usually scuff doesn't amount to much. Most tires will endure a curb hit or two just fine.

The rim may have less durability.

A rip or gouge exposing plys would need attention.

Thankfully, this happened coming out of a parking lot so it wasn't at full speed or anything. I just over-steered and thought, how did that happen afterward.
grin2.gif

Anyway, I think the rim is fine and I haven't noticed it driving different. The small knot seems to be about 1-2 inches, like an egg, and yes it is along the sidewall.

Thanks for the quick replies, by the way.
thumbsup2.gif

Tire should be replaced, if I read your descriptions correctly. A "semi-goose egg effect" says it's bubbled out to me.

It would be nice to have had road hazard coverage.

out of round? How does it ride on the highway - need to take it through a variety of speeds.

That goose egg is the result of sidewall damage. There are only two plies in the sidewall...and one or more is now damaged...that tire is no longer safe.

The scuff marked one is probably fine.

But you need to replace the damaged one before it fails on you at the worst time...

Probably a good idea to replace the goose egg tire. It may never get any worse but how much is not having to change it on the side of the road worth to you, or your wife having to do it(if you have one)? A single tire on craigs list is pretty cheap.

Okay, I was wrong guys. I cleaned up the tire and re-inspected. Instead of an actual goose egg, there seems to be a 'slight' imprint on the sidewall. Like a 1-2 inch seam inwards slightly, hard to see, but you can feel it. It was still night when I checked the tire upon returning home after hitting the curb. I felt what I thought was a goose-egg, but I believe it's actually an indention, ever so slight.

I'll have the guys at Kauffman tire, who installed this set of 4 just a year ago, inspect on my next tire rotation to be safe, but it's definitely not a goose-egg. It's not my DD. Boy, that was a scare.

Still, I appreciate the informative posts. I had a goose-egg on another tire on a used vehicle I no longer drive and I'm surprised it didn't blow on my from what everyone is saying here.

I worked in a tire shop for several years in college. This ended in 2006.

Indentations on the sidewall are generally ok. It's just where the plies overlap.

Bulges are always bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back