GM Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
So p/s fluid is really more like motor oil?

No. A hydraulic fluid is a specific fluid for a specific application. Different additive package, different viscosity.

Most PS fluids in the past were ATF's or had an ATF additive package. As another hydrualic fluid, it fit the bill.

The exception was the Honda PS fluids.

It appears that for this new flid, GM wanted a non-detergent or low detergent PS fluid with no silicone anti-foam. They are using an acrylic-based anti-foam polymer instead.

If your vehicle specified DexronII or DexronIII/Mercon fluids in the Power Steering unit you should be able to use any Dex/Merc type fluid, including the TES 295 fluids.

Last edited:
My 2OO3 Silverado specs power steering fluid. Most say use ps fluid, but I would like to use tes 295 if possible and better than ps fluid.

A TES-295 fluid has worked fine for years in my '01 Lumina, which also specs GM power steering fluid. It definitely works better on cold mornings.

As for whether or not it's demonstrably 'better' for the application, or even compatible- I'm really not qualified to answer. But it works for me.

In oddball applications like agricultural equipment and construction equipment... even some heavy trucks... power steering fluid, ATF, and motor oil are often used interchangeably depending on the manufacturer's preference and operating conditions. Some recommend two or all of the above depending on temperature range (like p/s systems in certain old John Deere swathers, which spec p/s fluid, atf, or low-viscosity hy-tran depending on temperature range and what John Deere happened to be selling at the time... and also John Deere skidsteers which spec either motor oil or hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic system, depending on temperature range, or Allison transmissions that spec either atf or motor oil depending on operating conditions)... others have switched back and forth for one reason or another. In my OPINION, this means that at least for use as a hydraulic fluid, there must not be all the much difference, practically speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back