Super easy intake/valve cleaning DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tom slick
In addition, oil leaks past the valve stem seals, as a function of the seals, to lubricate the valve/valve guides.

So oil with high flash point and good solvency(like redline)would minimize these deposits to some extent.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Cleaners ingested via manifold vacuum is a technique that has been around for many decades.

And?

1) The title of this subforum says post tips for maintenance. That is what this is. And people on BITOG have specifically asked what is the procedure to clean valves on other threads.

2) I did not say that cleaning the intake with solvents is novel, only the method shown is novel, and how easy it is.

3) According to the post by RS-RL1, buildup on the intake valves on direct injection engines can occur in as little as 800 miles. Also here is a photo of the valves of a car with 22k miles. Thus it appears it is very important for owners of DI vehicles to know how to easily clean the valves themselves.

valve2pn3.gif

Do you know what oil was used in this car?

Originally Posted By: zoomzoom
Do you know what oil was used in this car?

I asked the poster of the pictures, vwhoustontech, what oil was used. He has other cars with similar buildup. I'll post back if I get a response.

I did treat my dad's Lexus ES300 with Seafoam, but instead of using a basketball needle to control the flow, I used a pair of locking pliers on a rubber hose. Later, I got some hose pinch off screws for this.

It worked well.

chrome, that statement depends on what 4 cylinder engine you are talking about. The GM Ecotec and Honda D17 have the throttle body and vac lines in the center of the manifold. Back when TBI and carbs were used, this was in 100% of 4 cylinder engines.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
As an alternative, this would work:

Powerfoam2.jpg

Man, that looks a lot like SeaFoam Deep Creep.

7070069_sef_dc14_pri_thmb.jpg

That is for hoses like THIS!
3046885039_1a4ef410e0.jpg

As to the cleaning Brake booter line. I took the plastic piece off a car, not the hose. i eventually got it back in. Seafoamed it that way. Thsi car? not so sure. I did it through PCV valve!

Just age and infrequent use can cause build-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back