ETHANOL E10 in old bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boraticus
More E10 hysteria!!!

I've been running E10 in engines of all types since it was forced upon us.

I'm certainly not a fan of E10 however, I've yet to experience an issue of any kind using it. Nothing.

Same here. Here in Colorado we started using it back in the early 90s. I'd rather not use it if I had choice, but I don't and have ridden old 1970s motorcycles for all this time and have had no problem.

Originally Posted By: RonH
Originally Posted By: boraticus
More E10 hysteria!!!

I've been running E10 in engines of all types since it was forced upon us.

I'm certainly not a fan of E10 however, I've yet to experience an issue of any kind using it. Nothing.

Same here. Here in Colorado we started using it back in the early 90s. I'd rather not use it if I had choice, but I don't and have ridden old 1970s motorcycles for all this time and have had no problem.
Same here. the only issues I've had were some older fuel lines would get spongy and seep fuel. Most replacement fuel lines today are made to be used with the newer fuels, so that's not an issue.

It seems that the "Kreem" aftermarket coating for rusty fuel tanks is also destroyed by E10. It turns into mush and contaminates fuel systems horribly.

From what I hear its not the fuel that causes kreme to peal, but improper installation. Nothing will adhere to rust. most people do not clean the tank well enough for the product to adhere the way it needs to be.It has to be clean, rust free. oil free, and dust free, and installed at the proper temperature.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
From what I hear its not the fuel that causes kreme to peal, but improper installation. Nothing will adhere to rust. most people do not clean the tank well enough for the product to adhere the way it needs to be.It has to be clean, rust free. oil free, and dust free, and installed at the proper temperature.,,

I've also read that improper application will cause it to fail.

Seems that when anything in the fuel system fails, people like to blame it on ethanol. As I've stated previously, if ethanol was as bad as the hysterical claim it is, we wouldn't be able to get down the road due to dead vehicles.

I'm lucky in that I live in an area where about 25% of the gas stations still sell non-ethanol.

The one time I put in in my '07 Shadow VLX (5000 miles), it didn't want to cold start, took twice as much choke to get it to idle, and fuel mileage was way down.

I drive 5 miles out of the way to buy real gas.

E10 makes my antique tractor gas tank rust when sitting over the winter, my MC fuel lines crack and leak, my fuel sours faster than it used too,(even with stabil). my 2 cents.

Yeah I have seen Ethanol laced gas cause issues on carbed engines and older fuel systems. Of course if you rig your motor and fuel system to handle it, everything should be okay. New lines, and carb kits will help. Also drain the gas if you store it or buy a stabilizer meant for ethanol and keep the tank full. I remember seeing the early composite floats get killed by ethanol(got soft and leaked), but the new ones are good. I know my Yamaha hates E10 as the fuel economy takes a decent hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back