Trying Lubegard Red Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Bring you up to full now or?

Well, for a second I thought I may have overfilled it. I used about 5 ounces and it got me to the full range, just some residue(not actual level) on the dipstick threw me off at first. The ATF wasn't up to the upper hole for the hot range, but was now covering the lower hole on the hot range. That, and I may have been slightly on a 5 degree incline(at most) and so I wasn't shooting for the upper hole since it wasn't completely level in the truest sense, but at least it isn't under-filled now.

Your being to picky
56.gif
filling it a little over full is just fine and recommended here.

Your being to picky
56.gif

Really? I mean, I'm sure slightly full wouldn't hurt. What have experiences been behind overfilling?

If the next time I go drive it leaves me shy of the upper fill mark I'll just finish of the rest of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Read the article on the Amsoil website about ATF and additives. Use better ATF rather than additives.

Im all for that, but define better ATF. I do not see that a universal ATF is better. A better dex/merc, dex VI, or whatever else is great. But a one size fits all... not necessarily...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would think a full syn ATF would be classified as a better ATF.

I thought LubeGard used a lot of esters in their formulations? Is the Lubegard Red Bottle in question some sort of dino juice, then? I wasn't under that impression. If so, they got me.

For the record, I used Valvoline ATF+4 and will be exclusively sticking with that ATF+4 for the life of this vehicle. Since it's driven so little, I'll probably continue to change the fluid/filter every 3 years max from now on.

Oh, and depending on results, use Lubegard RB as well.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

I thought LubeGard used a lot of esters in their formulations? Is the Lubegard Red Bottle in question some sort of dino juice, then? I wasn't under that impression. If so, they got me.

For the record, I used Valvoline ATF+4 and will be exclusively sticking with that ATF+4 for the life of this vehicle. Since it's driven so little, I'll probably continue to change the fluid/filter every 3 years max from now on.

I believe you are correct about lubegard and the use of esters. Great product.

All I meant about a 100% syn atf is that it is better then an atf that is not full syn. I am assuming that a full syn atf may not need Lubegard BUT i guess it would depend on your application.

I believe you are correct about lubegard and the use of esters. Great product.

All I meant about a 100% syn atf is that it is better then an atf that is not full syn. I am assuming that a full syn atf may not need Lubegard BUT i guess it would depend on your application.

Sure, that always needs to be considered. The ATF+4 from Valvoline is a "Full Synthetic", at least the bottle says so.
grin2.gif

...if I had owned the car from the beginning and kept up with maintenance, I probably would not be using the LubeGard but it's really me trying to head some symptoms off and getting the car back into regular maintenance in relation to the transmission.

Just a FYI....

last time i ran this stuff i talk to a tech on the phone about ratio for this stuff and he told me you CAN NOT over applicate with this stuff,he said don't get carried away but over adding won't hurt a thing so that's what i did.

I've been using LG red in all my vehicles for quite awhile and I haven't had any A/T issues at all (thankfully). No shuddering, hard shifts ect....
I added a full 10 oz. bottle to the (problematic) BAXA unit (which has a 6.XX qt. capacity) in my 01' Accord without any issues at all. I feel it can only help the Honda Z-1 fluid.
I have it in my Corolla along with Toyota T-IV and in my Buick along with Mobil 1 ATF.
I think it is a very good product.

I would think a full syn lube of any sort would generally be better than a non-syn, but the additive package plays into this a lot. I am concerned with non-specific add packs and their effects upon some of the specialty materials in an AT. Its a different situation than an engine. That friction material and operational parameters can vary widely.

Your being to picky
56.gif

Really? I mean, I'm sure slightly full wouldn't hurt. What have experiences been behind overfilling?

If the next time I go drive it leaves me shy of the upper fill mark I'll just finish of the rest of the bottle.

I'm just saying if it's 1/4 qt or so over filled shouldn't be a problem don't have to be spot on, i do it all the time with my GM trans..

I have always heard that manufacturers are concerned with overfilling and causing atf fluid to backout of the overflow tube(dipstick tube)... You would have to be wayyyyy over filled for this to happen.

Your being to picky
56.gif

I'm just saying if it's 1/4 qt or so over filled shouldn't be a problem don't have to be spot on, i do it all the time with my GM trans..

I just added a bottle of Lubegard Platinum to my 4T65-E transmission. When I checked the 10oz pushed me from the middle of the full zone to overfilled. I had about 10 feet of plastic tubing I used as a big straw to suck it out. Took about 10 times to get enough out and left me with sore cheeks for the next few days.

I was wondering if I should have gone with the Red instead, but I'm looking to change out fluid once the weather warms up. My transmission doesn't always seem to like the Dex VI I moved to (about 8k miles ago) and I'm hoping a good synthetic Dex III like Maxlife will do a better job. Seems I get slipping on the 1-2 shift at a small range of cold weather that hopefully shoudl be done. Not at the coldest (-15), but around 0-10 degree F.

I'm also pondering if I should add a bottle of red to the Maxlife or go without and see how it goes first.

Red and Maxlife ATF seems to be a good combination in my transmission with 150 miles on it so far.

My transmission is about 3/4 quart over-filled. Doesn't harm a thing with the fluid sloshing around from going up/down/around the steep hills by me.

Your being to picky
56.gif

Okay, I threw caution to the wind and put in the rest of the 2nd LG Red bottle I had bought. Whee!

Your being to picky
56.gif

Okay, I threw caution to the wind and put in the rest of the 2nd LG Red bottle I had bought. Whee!

Living on the edge huh? lol
55.gif

So far things are going well. The transmission is shifting smoother, and going into gear quicker, especially reverse.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
So far things are going well. The transmission is shifting smoother, and going into gear quicker, especially reverse.

Good to hear, LG Red has improved shifting a lot in the Corolla. Before LG, the OD shift seemed a little "hard". Love the stuff!

Originally Posted By: nicholas
FYI - Maxlife ATF is a DexVI now - around 6.0 cst at 100c

Ah, I see that. I pulled the specs sheet and noticed most of the values for Maxlife seems in the middle of Dex III and Dex VI. However, the specs clearly point to Maxlife being more like Dex IV than Dex III.

I switched out my Dex III with about 100k miles on it to Dex VI, but a pan drop only gets about 65%-70% on my 4T65E transmission. I'm guessing once the weather warms up I"ll do a cooler line flush and get all the fluid replaced with Maxlife. I'll see how it goes and add Lubegard Red if I think it needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back