Why such a large oil capacity in new Ford Fusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Jeep takes 5 quarts, my mom's with a 4.0 I6 takes 6 quarts. I've worked on an older 1988 Jaguar XJ6 with the 3.6L AJ6 engine, it took 8 quarts!

My Mazda CX7 has a dry fill of 6.7 quarts. I agree with Ford and the extended change interval but, we will still have a large group who will insist on a 3K oil change.

Originally Posted By: mailman74
I wish all autos would take 4, 5, or 6 qts why all the .3 etc ?

Usually it's from a conversion from liters to quarts or vice versa.

And honestly, the amount of oil NOT in the pan at any given moment isn't much. That's why 5.7L V8s and 2.0L I4s can both have a 5qt sump.

The more oil in the sump the longer you can go without changing it. Probably a failsafe for [censored] American drivers that go 10,000 miles between oil changes on Jiffy Lube's best.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The old F engine Toyota Land Cruiser had over an 8 quart capacity. I think those originated in the '50s

True...and the Land Cruisers continued to be 8 quart sump until 1997. All three of my 1990's Land Cruisers are 8 qt. each. In 1998, when the 100 Series Cruisers started production with the V-8, things changed capacity wise. Not sure how much the 100's take.

I am a true believer that the more oil the better.

Originally Posted By: JRed
The more oil in the sump the longer you can go without changing it.

Is it also true that the longer it'll take to reach proper operating temp?

Can't go wrong with more oil capacity. The only downside I can see is the *gasp* factor if one decides to fill up with a premium-priced synthetic, or even a premium-priced dino when compared to the smaller ones the person is likely used to. The overall cost will be the same or likely even less especially in a heavily loaded engine in hot climates, as the oil will stay cooler and not break down as much that way.

Sump capacity, along with the near continuous running (lack of cold starts) is how large trucks can run such long OCI's and such long overall engine life, more often than not using plain old 15w40 conventional out of a bulk drum.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yes it would, that's the other downside that didn't occur to me in my first reply.

Cars should have a device so they do not start if the oil is more than 1 quart low; might save a few engines from the moron drivers.

Originally Posted By: BGK
Cars should have a device so they do not start if the oil is more than 1 quart low; might save a few engines from the moron drivers.

My BMw has a sensor that tells you when you are a quart low. In 197,000 it has never come on due to low oil. Car does not use any oil that i can tell.

VVT, DOHC, require more overhead supply, Thin oil flows more to the top. The oil has to maintain supply needs at rpm limits.

70-80 psi is the rate oil is pumped out of the pan and it depends on gravity to replenish the a usable level in the sump.

The cooling effect is never much discussed is also a big factor.

Originally Posted By: BGK

They would still ignore it. Then [complain] and moan how [insert brand here] makes junk cars. "That add oil warning was only on for 6 months!!!"

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I would think so. For short hoppers, or people driving 10-15 minutes on the highway to work it might not be such a good thing. IMO the longer oil takes to get to operating temps the worse it is. Adding more oil to the sump has its pros and cons. Now the person who turns the key and drives nice long runs on the highway would benefit.

My 00 camry has a 2.2L 4cyl engine & only needs 3.8qts for oil change. Though, most of the time I'll just dump the whole gallon in and call it a day.

Nice car, just bought one myself..same motor. Just FYI, owners manual says 5.3 qts but only put FIVE in or you'll be overfilled. 5 quarts takes it to dead center in the ok band on the dipstick.

^ That could be due to a longer stroke without a deeper oil pan, so they would drop the level down to maintain clearance between the crank and oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back