Michelin or Yokohama

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm debating between the Michelin Pilot Exalto or the new Yokohama Avid Envigor.

The Michelin has a treadlife of 400 and the Yoko has 560. Driving style is slightly aggressive and drive a mix of 50/50 city/highway. Living in FL, wet traction and hydroplaning resistance is important.

What are you opinions?

It appears the tires are pretty equal in everything -- except snow -- which you don't care about. I'd pick the cheapest, best warranty.

The biggest drawback of most Yokohama tires in general (this one included I believe) is a lack of snow/ice traction. Because you live in the southeast, this shouldn't be an issue.

Here are Tire Rack's thoughts on the issue:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=129

Looks like the Michelin will be the more comfortable of the two and the Yokohama will have the highest performance of the two.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
I like the Exalto for the treadlife.

Theoretically, the Yoko should have an even longer treadlife, alas, these UTQG ratings can't always be trusted as they're not standardized across manufacturers.

The MPV has Yoko Avid S and they have very good wet traction, comfortable ride, not noisy and they're way cheaper than Michelin.

I know Michelins are good, since i've owned their pilot series on my motorcycle but never had yoko's.

decisions, decisions..

You can run a search here, but those who have installed the ENVigors here, seem to like them. When I was looking they were a good value too. Ended up with Conti DWS because of grand opening promo. I returned for them for Mich Primacy, because of noticeable DWS flatspotting. Would have gone with the Yoko's but DT was going to charge shipping (not in stock) for replacement with ENV's.

Primacy's are fine, but regret not buying the ENV's instead of the DWS first.

Both are good tires, I'd imagine you won't get any trouble from either. From the trend pattern the Michelin will be quieter and if I remember right cost a bit more. For a Galant it will probably means $100 difference for a set of 4.

I put a set of AVID ENVigors on my wife's Mercedes-Benz C230 and they're great. And the price is right. The sidewalls look pretty cool as well.
smile.gif

Either tire is fine for your use. Just make sure you stand there and watch them. If any tire takes more than 1.5 ozs to balance out then demand a new one. I just got some Michelin Primacys that took 5.5 ozs to balance out on 1 tire and 3.0 ozs to balance out on the other and they still shake at freeway speeds. Currently trying to get the store to take them back so I can swap out to a new set. I think i have some defective tires. Balanced 9 times and still wont zero out.

Originally Posted By: YZF_Eric
I'm debating between the Michelin Pilot Exalto or the new Yokohama Avid Envigor.

The Michelin has a treadlife of 400 and the Yoko has 560. Driving style is slightly aggressive and drive a mix of 50/50 city/highway. Living in FL, wet traction and hydroplaning resistance is important.

What are you opinions?

I put a set of those Michelins on my 1996 Contour last April then drove on a 3400 mile vacation. I loved them. They are quiet, grip great, dry or in torential rains. Handling is confident. The only slightly "down side" with these Michelin's is they feel a bit "squirmy" on the highway. You have to be a bit more attentive on the highway. My tire size 205-60-15. Overall I really like them a lot.

Whimsey

I've got 10,000 miles on my Yoko Envigor's and they plowed through the Colorado snow storms just fine. I'm very happy with them, they are quiet and they handle great.

I have the Envigors on my Subaru which replaced a set of Pilot Exaltos that lasted for 50k miles. I currently have 20 k on the Yokos. The Michelins seemed to corner better on freeway exit ramps while the Yokos are a bit more quiet. We had tons of snow this year in the northeast and the Envigors handled it well (the Subaru AWD probably helped). They are both excellent tires.

The Exalto's are an old tire design. I would go with the Envigor's. They are new and been getting very good reviews.

Well, the one key question I haven't seen anyone ask is, just which version of the Pilot Exalto are we talking about?

UPDATE: Ended up getting the Exaltos. WAY BETTER than the "Rikens" that were on my car. Those were the softest tires i've ever owned.

The Pilot exalto still feels a bit too comfortable for me but they are definitely an upgrade. Steering response isnt as quick but sure has stiffer sidewalls. Can't wait til it rains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back