Gun Laws only thin end of the wedge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been illegal to carry knives for over a decade. As per an ex state Police Commissioner, "If you are carrying a knife, you better have a fishing rod over your shoulder"...have club mates who have been drawn on for "carrying" a leatherman on their belt.

Read in a magazine tonight that the Australasian Knife Collector's Club is disbanding, faced with pending new legislation that they hand over details of all their members, and addresses...confidentially of course.

http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/akc-homepage.html

wow. Over a leatherman?

I was watchin COPS the other night for the first time in years, and was suprised at how disrespectfully the police treated people who were under arrest. I sure dont want to see a policeman killed or harmed - and taking care and precaution is sound... But the way they grind these peoples' faces into the dirt sometimes, after they are made and deemed benign beyond reasonable doubt is very sad. Its one thing if it is a mexican thug in a stolen car. But the drunk crazy who has yielded in full?!?

And frankly, if someone is going to take on the police with a leatherman, they deserve to be shot for stupidity. Its not like they have a compelling advantage. But it doesnt mean that they deserve to be treated as if they ARE going to attack just for having a leatherman on their belt. Heck, the police could ask them to remove it and put it on the ground from a distance. What is the person going to do, throw it at them? Long knives that can do some damage, sure I can see how that bothers folks... But what are they going to outlaw next? Bars of steel? Its not like people who want to harm each other arent going to find another tool.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
wow. Over a leatherman?

I was watchin COPS the other night for the first time in years, and was suprised at how disrespectfully the police treated people who were under arrest. I sure dont want to see a policeman killed or harmed - and taking care and precaution is sound... But the way they grind these peoples' faces into the dirt sometimes, after they are made and deemed benign beyond reasonable doubt is very sad. Its one thing if it is a mexican thug in a stolen car. But the drunk crazy who has yielded in full?!?

And frankly, if someone is going to take on the police with a leatherman, they deserve to be shot for stupidity. Its not like they have a compelling advantage. But it doesnt mean that they deserve to be treated as if they ARE going to attack just for having a leatherman on their belt. Heck, the police could ask them to remove it and put it on the ground from a distance. What is the person going to do, throw it at them? Long knives that can do some damage, sure I can see how that bothers folks... But what are they going to outlaw next? Bars of steel? Its not like people who want to harm each other arent going to find another tool.

"A Mexican thug in a stolen car"
Nice

Why doesn't the population of Australia take their country back?

Here in Wyoming, open carrying of firearms has always been legal and concealed firearm permits must be issued to law abiding residents.

Our legislature just passed a bill and Governor Mead signed it into law a few days ago - CONCEALED CARRY NO LONGER REQUIRES ANT PERMIT AS OF JULY, 2011.

Wyoming will continue to issue concealed permits so residents can take advantage of reciprocity in other States. For example, Utah recognizes Wyoming concealed permits so a Wyoming resident may obtain a Wyoming concealed permit to carry in Utah.

Gotta love Wyoming. The more liberal Democrats like Obama push, the harder we shove back.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ If "liberals" don't like concealed carry, explain Vermont.

I've had a theory on Vermont for a long time, but it is not a socially acceptable one, nor would it's discussion be allowed here.

I do not know what you are referring to so i will assume that Vermont is dominated by liberals yet has laws that protect law abiding citizens that want to concealed carry.

My answer to your question if this is the case is that maybe the liberals in power respect the Constitutions 2nd amendment, unlike those in DC and Chicago (not political, just factual).

Disclaimer: I do not have a concealed permit nor do I ever plan to get one. I live in a nice part of town and crime is not a problem, I rarely go out at night except to pickup Chinese takeout. The government has zero idea that I even own a gun (let alone 4).

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I do not know what you are referring to so i will assume that Vermont is dominated by liberals yet has laws that protect law abiding citizens that want to concealed carry...

For clarity: Vermont allows it's citizens to carry concealed without a permit. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

There are no 'liberals' vs 'conservatives' issue in reality. There is this disconnect problem. The bigger the entity, be it a corporation or a gov the higher probability that people at the top are not aware of what is going on in the trenches. Suites get the numbers and as long as numbers look good they are free to conduct business their usual disconnected way. Quarterly reports, fudged unemployment and inflation figures work for them. Then Enron happens. Shoot.. or what is labeled as a revolution. And all the revolutions end in disappointment. American Revolution, which was a result of a disconnect was the rare exception.. so far. Real liberals are not supposed to limit other folks and their own liberties. Glad to know they do exist.
Divisive labeling works well only for unproductive blame game.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's been illegal to carry knives for over a decade. As per an ex state Police Commissioner, "If you are carrying a knife, you better have a fishing rod over your shoulder"...have club mates who have been drawn on for "carrying" a leatherman on their belt.

Read in a magazine tonight that the Australasian Knife Collector's Club is disbanding, faced with pending new legislation that they hand over details of all their members, and addresses...confidentially of course.

http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/akc-homepage.html

WOW..I can't even muster a response.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But the way they grind these peoples' faces into the dirt sometimes, after they are made and deemed benign beyond reasonable doubt is very sad. Its one thing if it is a mexican thug in a stolen car. But the drunk crazy who has yielded in full?!?

Luckily, you don't mention a drunk, crazy, illegal Mexican thug, because then might think you're biased, which doesn't become a moderator all that well.

As I recall, Shannow posted that Oz basically banned conventional play grounds for kids because they were too dangerous for the kids.

Is it really any surprise that the government wants to know which of it's subjects has a dangerous "weapons cache" of knives?

You know, all of those mass knifing incidents that could theoretically be happening but aren't. This is surely just for "public safety" reasons...

Can't carry knives in Australia? Really? Where I come from a man doesn't consider himself to be properly dressed unless he's got a decent sized folding knife in his pocket. I can't imagine walking around without a pocket knife.

Do they let you people have butter knives and forks when you sit down for dinner? After all, those forks are dangerous. You could put an eye out.

Maybe they'll pass a law that all meals must be eaten with one of those silly plastic "sporks" in the future.

Originally Posted By: engineerscott
Can't carry knives in Australia? Really? Where I come from a man doesn't consider himself to be properly dressed unless he's got a decent sized folding knife in his pocket. I can't imagine walking around without a pocket knife.

Do they let you people have butter knives and forks when you sit down for dinner? After all, those forks are dangerous. You could put an eye out.

Maybe they'll pass a law that all meals must be eaten with one of those silly plastic "sporks" in the future.

Will somebody cut my meat for me...lol

Keep it dry boys...the feces storm is a brewing!

Can't carry knives in Australia?

Crocodile+Dundee+-+That%2527s+a+knife+scene-8x6.jpg

Paul Hogan does not approve....or his character anyway.

It's a slippery slope. 1st the assault rifles, then the magazines, then the ammo, the pistols, the hunting rifles and shotguns, the knives, crossbows, and how about those high tech aluminum assault baseball bats. I'm honestly surprised I can still buy a sportbike.

Last edited:
What will they outlaw next? Small rocks? After all, a thrown stone was probably the first weapon that man ever deployed. And, they can be surprisingly lethal.

That's it, "Lethal Weapon 10" will be filmed in Australia and will feature Murtough and Riggs with sacks of fist sized stones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back