I think I'm allergic to bananas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I eat a banana it feels like I get heartburn immediately after eating it. My mouth also gets itchy while I'm eating it. I just searched for "banana heartburn" and read that these symptoms can indicate an allergic reaction. I eat them when they are ripened so there should be no problem there. I'm guessing most people don't have the same side effects as I do when they eat bananas? I really liked bananas too.
frown.gif
I don't think I will be buying them anymore.

I just ate one before typing this and currently have heartburn. Ugh.
sick.gif

Last edited:
Here are some symptoms for allergic reactions:
Cramping in the abdomen,
Increased heart palpitations,
Headaches and migraines,
Vomiting,
Diarrhea,
Nausea
Watery eyes
Coughing, sneezing and wheezing
Runny nose

Deduce what you want.

Sounds possible. There are some fruits that make my mouth itch or sting.

In my case, it's pretty mild, and I don't get an indigestion response. If the fruit is tasty, I just deal with it.

I guarantee you that someone will say that they don't think it's the fruit but that it's pesticides. Those people are idiots. Apples get me, and I can tell you that the untreated apples from my own yard (with worms of course!) are just as sting-inducing as the ones from the store.

Bananas are alkaline fruits I believe, so the fact that you get heartburn would indicate to me that you have a reaction to the fruit. Id look into allergies. Have you ever been tested in general for allergies to certain compounds?

Also, due to the ease of digestion and high glycemic characteristics (fast sugar response in your body), I wonder if it is more a sugar inflammation response of your body...

Are you allergic to latex? Bananas and Rubber Trees are in the same family. My wife can not tolerate either one.

I don't believe that I'm allergic to latex. I don't know what it is in them that does it, but I won't buy them again.

I am allergic to bananas and kiwi. Not that it will kill me allergic, but cramping/nausea type reactions to it. Local hospital asks if you are allergic to either as it can be an indicator of latex allergies as mentioned. I've had no problems in that department. Avocado is also in that category - maybe explains why I've never been a guacamole fan
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Is this the first time you've had a banana in your life?

Nope, I would eat a banana almost everyday. I just thought that everyone felt the same way I did when they ate one.
lol_hitting.gif

Last edited:
A friend of mine is HIGHLY allergic to bananas,as in can't even have them in the house. Apparently, even the gas they produce as they ripen makes her have an allergic reaction.

If she took a bite of a banana,she'd be dead before the ambulance could get to her house.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Every time I eat a banana it feels like I get heartburn immediately after eating it. My mouth also gets itchy while I'm eating it. I just searched for "banana heartburn" and read that these symptoms can indicate an allergic reaction. I eat them when they are ripened so there should be no problem there. I'm guessing most people don't have the same side effects as I do when they eat bananas? I really liked bananas too.
frown.gif
I don't think I will be buying them anymore.

I just ate one before typing this and currently have heartburn. Ugh.
sick.gif

Heartburn is not an allergic reaction. You have either a problem digesting one of the types of starch or sugar a banana contains, or you respond negatively to the large dose of potassium.

If you had a food allergy, you would either have a histamine reaction like a more or less severe asthma attack or at least a skin reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back