Norelco Shaver Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

What should I do with my Dad's old (mid 70s model) Norelco triple header shaver? It doesn't cut very good any more. After I shaved I used to be able to dump the shavings into the trash but lately I see no shavings inside it and I don't know where they went.

Should I get a new head for it for about $25 shipped or just buy a new shaver for about $40?

It takes the HP 1121 head.

Try a warm wet shave the proper way with good shave oil pre-treat, quality shave cream/gel/soap, and a good razor. You'll never go electric again!

First, see if the individual cutters come out. Mine is a little bit newer, but you can remove the actual cutters. When you do that, check the screen that glides on your face, they may just be clogged and need cleaning. Anyway, you can go to Walmart and see if you can get replacement cutters. They aren't exactly cheap, but those Norelco's last forever. You may not have to get a whole new head assembly.

I just took it apart and found where all the shavings were staying. I had put some type of oil in there at one time and it was all gunked up. I rinsed off the header holder in alcohol and got all kinds of debris out of there. When I got it back together, much to my surprise that thing seems to shave as good and close as it ever did.

I don't know what type of oil I had put in there, maybe it was Pennzoil Platinum or something, lol. I have a feeling it'll be fine with no oil at all in it.

I took it to a shaver repairman many years ago and I think he used something to lube it, but I don't know what oil or where it was applied. May have been 3 in 1 oil.

I have used Norelcos for like 40 years. Buy a bottle of Lectric (or equivalent) shave. Every time you shave remove cap and put your index finger there and tip the bottle to get the slightest amount on your finger. Then touch it to the outside of the head (blade area). Do this for each of the 3 blade areas. The blades will last 10 to 15 years.

the blades have already been in there for about 20 years.
smile.gif
I don't have a big beard at all. I need a shave about every 3 days, so if the blades will last 10 to 15 years with a normal beard, they might last me 30+ years with my light beard.

Thanks for the ideas.
smile.gif

I've used nothing but Norelco since I started shaving around 1978 or so. To this day, I've never oiled or lubed any shaver. Didn't know you needed to...hmmmmmm.....great, more oil to worry about....M1 or Pennz. Plat???

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I've used nothing but Norelco since I started shaving around 1978 or so. To this day, I've never oiled or lubed any shaver. Didn't know you needed to...hmmmmmm.....great, more oil to worry about....M1 or Pennz. Plat???

I would not schedule any OCI on your shaver, lol.

Reminds me of a used Technics component cassette deck I once went to look at that a man had advertised in the paper for sale, many years ago. There was what looked like oil coming out of it. Someone had oiled it all up, thinking it needed to be lubed. I did not buy it.

There may be lube points on an electric shaver, but if you don't know exactly where they are, it's probably a better idea to apply none at all.
smile.gif

I bought a rotary blade sharpening system off Amazon and it does a nice job of bringing the blade's performance back for way under the cost of a new set.

I also have replaced the batteries in my rechargeable with Amazon sourced replacements for under $10.

You do need to lube the rotary blades at the center spindle but as others said it doesn't take much. 1/2 a small drop over three blades.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
Schmoe said:
There may be lube points on an electric shaver, but if you don't know exactly where they are, it's probably a better idea to apply none at all.
smile.gif

Well its not rocket science. You need to get something between the blade and the inside of the head where th blade rides on. Thats why a moist finger (with Lectric shave) just touched on the outside of the head will actually tough the blade itself.

You can hear the difference when you put the lube on this spot.

Even though I use it every time..an ounce lasts 10 years. My 7 ounce bottle is half full.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Do you know of anything without perfume that I could use instead? How about a little rubbing alcohol?

Forget about that electric shaver and get you a Schick Hydro-3
razor and some Gillette Fusion shaving cream. Pure luxury.
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back