Quality of Castrol Mercon V compared to Motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a new steering rack installed in my Taurus and i provided them with Castrol Mercon V which was on sale and seemed like a good bet. I am curious as to if anyone knows the quality of Castrol Mercon V compared with Motorcraft. I just didn't want them to use the wrong fluid in my PS system.

Any thoughts?

For the cost of the rack or pump, I would definitely use a full synthetic. Grab a quart of Mobil1, Redline, Amsoil, or RoyalPurple...

You can also use the $20 off of $50 purchase promo code on ATF if you pick it up in store. I did that and got Castrol Import MV ATF for $2.40/qt last week.

Last edited:
To answer the OP's question, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Castrol Mercon V. I've been using it in the transmission of my DD for years, because the local Ford garage charges a ludicrous price for MC.

Not sure if this matters, or even if it's just marketing-speak, but Castrol and Valvoline are the only 2 flavours of Mercon V I can find that say they are actually approved by Ford. All the others say they're "recommended for" or "suitable for use in".

I will likely go back to mobil1 as I Had it in the past. I believe the Change from regular merc v to mobil1 a few thousand miles ago finally cleaned my seals up enough to start the leak on the stock rack. I will admit the m1 is notably smoother in my ps system with less effort and I want that back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back