2009 Versa ATF Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with a versa know how much ATF you need for a simple drain and refil? I was going to drain and measure, but thought someone may know the answer.

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8L Non CVT Automatic (4 speed).

I believe my trans calls for Nissan Matic D. Would Mobil 1 Syn ATF work?

The total capacity is 8.4 Qts. Refer to your owner's manual on the drain amount. M1 ATF will work if Nissan Matic D is specified.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
The total capacity is 8.4 Qts. Refer to your owner's manual on the drain amount. M1 ATF will work if Nissan Matic D is specified.

Neither the owner's manual nor the FSM state the approximate drain amount when drained via the drain plug.

I'd suggest acquiring a container (i.e. bucket) that has measure marks so you can measure how much you drained, and fill slightly below that amount and then use the dipstick to fill to the proper level. You definitely won't drain 8.4 quarts; for example, my '01 Pathfinder drains about 3.5 to 4 quarts via the drain plug, and it holds 9 quarts total. I'd suggest the OP buy 5 quarts to be on the safe side and use whatever's left over for the next change.

yeah, that is what I was planning on doing anyway was to buy a cheap measureing tool (pitcher, measuring cup etc) and see how much comes out and just add the same amount back to the transmission. I thought I might luck out and have another versa owner chime in.

Hey
It is roughly 3.5-3.8 liters - but this would depend on your levels - my first drain on my 08 versa was 4litres, the dealership overfilled by.5 - :mad:

Maxlife is what I chose - I just did another flush with the new formula. - Great shifts and clutch grab>:)

FYI - Also after 50,000 KMS my ATF fluid was JET black and nasty- DEXIII/ Matic D - is nothing special - try and grab a good syn or semi-syn fluid.

Oh I do not drive my cars hard at all - quite the opposite actually, so I was surprised that the fluid took such a beating.

Cheers - The versa is easier to change the ATF than the engine oil>:) - 3 drain and fills and you should be solid>:)

I was planning on one drain and fill every year. I only have about 29k on it now and my wife puts about 15k on it per year.

Originally Posted By: wn1998
I was planning on one drain and fill every year. I only have about 29k on it now and my wife puts about 15k on it per year.

Sounds good. But, you missed your year 2010 15k drain/refill. So, start with two d/r's now with a 10 minute ride between them, and continue with a yearly single d/r. Stick with a quality ATF, preferably synthetic.

Amsoil, Mobil1, Maxlife, Redline, RoyalPurple, Amalie, Castrol Import or Highmileage, Pennzoil multivehicle, Schaeffers 204.... are all a good choice. Pick one and stick with it.

As with all vehicles, I always recommend a battery disconnect after changing fluids.

If you have hydraulic power steering, use the same ATF there. And, brakes should be bled every couple years.

To empty volatile drive train memory and help assist driver adaptation to the new fluid.

one more silly questions, When I fill the trans, should I fill it through the dipstick or is there a fill hole somewhere on the trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back