Trying Lubegard Red Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I figured I'd give Lubegard Red Bottle (aka ATF conditioner/protectant) a shot in the Buick's 99k mile 4T65E 4-speed electronically-controlled transmission. It's filled with 12 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife ATF with about 20k miles on it presently, a Magnefine inline filter, and a TransGo shift kit put in to assist a flaky pressure control solenoid. The shifting in those 20k miles has been varying from buttery-smooth to feel gently through the floorboards, or pretty good. No complaints with the shift quality. Sometimes there is a "bang-screech" start where the transmission goes out of gear for a second, then slams back into gear accelerating moderately from a stop, chirping the tires. This happens once every blue moon, so it's not a big deal. I've heard this is due to a worn input shaft seal.

My objectives with the Lubegard were to help clean up the pressure control solenoid to get the shifting back to buttery-smooth, and help address the "bang-screech" by conditioning the seal a bit more.

So far in the 2.5 miles from the NAPA the shifts have started to smooth out and going into reverse was a little bit faster. I try not to get on the car from a dead stop or slow roll, so no clue about the bang-screech yet.

If it does what it says it does, great. If not, I'm out $9.

I used to use LG red in everything till i switched to Dex 6 now i don't because it's a better fluid but i never had an issues with it,was good for TC shutter.

I had a rebuilt tranny which started shuddering right at the limit of the warranty. Torque converter clutch chatter under light acceleration in overdrive/ lock up 47 to 58 mph. I tried some lubegard black or red, cannot remember.

No change.

Read about how tranny shops use their bulk universal fluid in everything. When to a Dodge dealer and paid $$$ to have it exchanged with atf+3 (2002) and not a shudder since.

I use Atf +4 now with nothing in it.

I added it my Aerostar before in the early fall. I've had a slight delay going into Reverse for years. I added MMO to the transmission about 2000 miles before a pan drop, and line flush. I still had the delay but it wasn't as bad. I added the LG Red and about 2000 miles later the delay was gone. This only happens when it is very cold out. I'm happy to report 195,000+ miles on the tranny and it is fine!

Nice. I'm currently trying it out as well in my 41TE transmission in my 1999 Stratus. Mostly over the ATF+4 now, after going 100,000 with no service and the original ATF+3 Mopar fluid from the factory.

I changed the fluid/filter again a few weeks ago, added 4 Quarts of Valvoline ATF+4 and 1 bottle of LubeGard red bottle(10 ounces).

So far better shifting, but I'm sure just the ATF alone has helped. The key will be on the back end of this service interval(30k miles or 2 years, whichever comes first). I had issues before with a hesitation from 40-50 going into OD/lock-up and hard shifting into reserve when first starting the car, especially in cold weather.

So far, so good.

I used LG Platinum in my Mazda6 Jatco ATX several years ago. That combined with a ATX cooler, and Redline D4, smoothed out my rough shifting trans tremendously.

I found out even after a good 20-25 minute highway run(15 miles at least), that when checking my ATF fluid I was only up to the 'warm' mark.

Question:

Should I top off to the HOT range on the dipstick, then?

...and since my refill takes as much as 4 Qts and half a pint or so, is it safe to top off the rest of the way with more LubeGard red? At refill I put 4 Quarts of ATF+4 back in and added what was left of most of a bottle of LG red(5-6 ounces)?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Lubegard recommends 1oz per quart ATF.

http://www.lubegard.com/directions1.html

Yeah, I was just wanting to avoid buying another bottle of both ATF+4 and LG Red.

I'm at about 5 or 6 ounces of LG, when I need at least another 3 ounces for the proper ratio outlined(9.2 Quart capacity trans).

Just a FYI....

last time i ran this stuff i talk to a tech on the phone about ratio for this stuff and he told me you CAN NOT over applicate with this stuff,he said don't get carried away but over adding won't hurt a thing so that's what i did.

I added two bottles to a 04 Monte Carlo SS and the tranny works great and like it should. The company told me in this type app that two bottles would be fine.

One bottle did not cut it and the car only has 8K miles... It was added to the original Dex 3 which looks like new fluid. If I was using new Dex 6 or new Maxlife ATF, one bottle may be enough. One oz per quart in my applications never worked for me... BUT those were with using Dex 3.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I added two bottles to a 04 Monte Carlo SS and the tranny works great and like it should. The company told me in this type app that two bottles would be fine.

One bottle did not cut it and the car only has 8K miles... It was added to the original Dex 3 which looks like new fluid. If I was using new Dex 6 or new Maxlife ATF, one bottle may be enough. One oz per quart in my applications never worked for me... BUT those were with using Dex 3.

I don't use it with DEX 6 i figure it's a better fluid and don't need it.

Originally Posted By: daman

I don't use it with DEX 6 i figure it's a better fluid and don't need it.

You are probably right about not needing it with Dex 6 or probably even Maxlife ATF. Dex 3, without any doubt, works much better with Lubegard Red.

Alright, I'll probably go buy another bottle of LG Red and add enough to be in the "HOT" range on the dipstick. I'm anywhere from a pint low to jut a few ounces.

Originally Posted By: daman
Yea give 'er another bottle..

Whee. I took the dive and topped it off. Haven't driven since, yet, though. May go for a late night run up the interstate.
19.gif

It may take a few hundred miles before you feel any improvement.

The shifts are a little smoother. We'll see how much it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back