Looking for a new summer tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need tires for my Vic's 18" set soon. My General Exclaim UHP are about toast. I run 255/45R18. My requirements are Ive got it down to:
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
Continential ExtremeContact DW (Actually outside my budget, but only just, so Ill leave them.)
Any thoughts or other possibilities I didnt see?

Seriously, why?!? The vic will never be able to utilize the grip that those tires will provide. I'd be looking for optimal cost in what is bound to be an expensive tire. Youre not going to use them to the extreme anyway.

Ill get Michelin PS2 as my next set but dont know their cost in such a size.

I'm working on that. I want to get custom springs (PI rate, but lower) and Addco bars (1 1/4 front 1 rear). Along with billet rear control arms and watts linkage.

I went back and looked for more Asymmetric tires in my size. Ive found 13 tires, of which, 9 are out of my price range. Ive found two additional possibilities in the summer category.
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT, $184 per
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, $181 per
Continential ExtremeContact DW, $204 per
Sumitumo HTR Z III, $188 per
Kumho ECSTA LE Sport, $178 per
Still not really a whole lot of difference as far as price.

I have run many sets of Kumho's and always found them to provide excellent performance for not much money.

I drove a friend's car at a track day last summer on Sumitomo HTR Z II's, and thought they were worthy of use on Fred Flintstone's car. I have heard that the Z III's are better.

My 18" Kelly/Goodyear Fierce Instinct ZRs have already outlasted the Exclaim UHPs and Potenza RE040s that preceded them. They are also less expensive than the Exclaims and quite a bit less than the Potenzas. Perform at least as good as the Exclaims on dry pavement and WAY better than the Potenzas in wet or on ice.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Why is asymmetry one of your requirements?

I'm guessing that he means he prefers asymmetric to directional from the rest of what he wrote.... (?) Of course it might be better phrased as "not directional" since that's really what he's trying to avoid and doesn't need asymmetry to achieve that.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
My 18" Kelly/Goodyear Fierce Instinct ZRs have already outlasted the Exclaim UHPs and Potenza RE040s that preceded them. They are also less expensive than the Exclaims and quite a bit less than the Potenzas. Perform at least as good as the Exclaims on dry pavement and WAY better than the Potenzas in wet or on ice.

+1

These.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Why is asymmetry one of your requirements?

I'm guessing that he means he prefers asymmetric to directional from the rest of what he wrote.... (?) Of course it might be better phrased as "not directional" since that's really what he's trying to avoid and doesn't need asymmetry to achieve that.

Yes, but I dont see any non-directional non-asymmetric tires in that size so its kind of a useless change in words that means the same thing.

I am a fan of the Kumho ASX which has an all season rating but excellent performance. I use the size you are getting on my Mustang GT. I assume you use winter tires seasonally but with the ASX you wouldn't have to worry if the temps dropped before you got your winter tires on.

You took RE040s out on ICE???!!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I'm working on that. I want to get custom springs (PI rate, but lower) and Addco bars (1 1/4 front 1 rear). Along with billet rear control arms and watts linkage.

The LX did not include any of the PI suspension goodies??

BTW, everyone also forgot about the BFG offerings;

G Force Super Sport All Seasons, 178.00 @ Tire Rack,

and the almost 'trackable' KDW2s, 188.00 @ Tire Rack (both may be less $$ elsewhere?).

Nope. I mean basic components are the same; control arms, bushings, etc. The shocks, springs, sway bars are completely different.
Much softer shocks paired with soft (250lb/in instead of 330lb/in front; 130lb/in instead of 160lb/in rear) saggy springs. Small front (26.5mm) sway bar with NO rear bar.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

You took RE040s out on ICE???!!!
crazy2.gif

I got stuck in a sleet storm.
21.gif
I think they called it "ice pellets" up north.
One of our two days of winter precipitation a year. I think the RE040s would have been worse on real ice

I replaced the tires on our KIA minivan (Kumho something or others). Supposed to be the same as OEM. Terrible tire! Hated the replacements. Recently acquired Hanhook Optimo H727. So far, really like it.

Also have experience with Cooper CS4 -- awesome grip rain or shine or snow (really!), but loud, and mileage dropped a bit. Otherwise no complaints.

I'm probably going to replace those $*&(@#4! Kumhos with Toyo Extensa A/S -- same ballpark as the Hanhook Optimos, or so I'm told, but with a slightly stiffer sidewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back