is one of the new fancy tire machines really need

Status
Not open for further replies.

KST

ed to change tires?? I see the new rim clamp ones for 2-3k. I see old Coats ones for 3-5 hundred.

I was at 2 tire places in the last week. DT had the fancy rim clamp ones. Les schwab was still using the Coats style for most of the work while I was waiting.

Is the Coats good enough for most needs?

No, not good enough...

the new aluminum rims with clear coats need a good "no touch" wheel machine or you'll f**k up your rims clear coat,,clear comes off corrosion sets in.

With today's more expensive wheels and finishes, and the propensity to run 'rubberbands' (i.e. very narrow sidewalls), I'd say that yes, the expensive machines are smarter.

My local Discount Tire guys always struggle with my 245/40R18 tires. The sidewalls are really narrow and with the XL load rating they're ultra-stiff. Usually takes them several minutes to dismount and mount each tire.

The factory wheels on my Volvo have no lip, the spokes are literally the outer most portion of the wheel. The newer style machines are needed to not damage the wheels. plus they use 235/40/18 95Y tires so the sidewalls are fairly stiff. Also since I only run Michelin PS2s on that car it makes it even harder to mount.

The tire shop that I use has both the old and new style machines depending on what they are working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back