OCI in a Chevy 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda taking over the oil changes in my dad's '05 Chevy 2500. He bought a newer F150 that he got a good deal on so the Chevy is kind of a shop truck now. It has a 6.xL gas engine I think. It is used in the winter months for plowing snow and just a lot of short trips/hauling otherwise. He always put 15w-40 in it for some reason so I'm going to start using the 5w-30 like it calls for. Right now I'm using Service Pro semi-synthetic 5w-30 but was thinking of going with PP for the next change. The service manual doesn't really offer what the change interval should be either. It only talks about waiting for the 'change oil' to go off and change within like 600 miles or something. Is that the best way to go or should I do like 5000 miles/200 hours or something like that? The way its used, I'd rather go by hours than miles especially since it measures hours already.

Once a year with M1 5w30. My old 1990 2500 with a 5.7 has had a steady diet of M1 since new and it's up over 300k on the original engine.

I'd recommend using any SL/SM/SN rated 5w-30 conventional oil and change it (along with the oil filter) every April and Oct. Short trips will put a lot of moisture and byproducts that you WANT to get out of the sump. The ONLY was to get those out is to change the oil.

I wish my hour meter worked (or should I say stayed). When I got the truck it had 2700 hours. Now it resets every 20-30 hours it seems. A known "feature" with the 2004 1500 GMC.

Your manual should say follow the OLM or one year whichever comes first with ANY API rated oil. Millions of GM motors are doing fine with that being followed.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I wish my hour meter worked (or should I say stayed). When I got the truck it had 2700 hours. Now it resets every 20-30 hours it seems. A known "feature" with the 2004 1500 GMC. Take care, Bill

It's funny, our 2006 2500 has the same "issue". I always assumed I must have been missing some reset or something that kept getting pressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back