2009 Mercedes-Benz GL450 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a 2009 M-B GL450 SUV with the gasoline V8 motor and 40k miles. He usually gets it serviced at the local Mercedes dealership with Mobil 1 (I'm thinking 10w40 based on the book). Recently he had been noticing some oil consumption which I discovered to be the oil filter being very loose and leaking. Needless to say he doesn't really want to go to that dealership anymore and I said I'd help him out. Anyone have a recommendation on a good oil for this? Should I stick with Mobil 1 or is there something else I can use such as Pennzoil Ultra? Mobil 1 seems a bit harder to find in the 40 weights in my area.

If you can't find M1 0w-40, then M1 5w-40 TDT should also work.

But if the vehicle is still under warranty, then he should stick to an oil that meets MB 229.5 spec, which is M1 0w-40.

Mobil 1 0W40, Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W40, Valvoline Synpower Euro 5W40.

If you're going to do oil change for this rig, you should invest in an oil extractor so that you can siphon the old oil via oil dipstick tube, and change the oil filter on top of the engine. This way you don't need to get under and remove the splash shield before you can get to the oil drain plug.

Rockauto has very good price on MANN fleece oil filter, but several at a time to reduce shipping cost. Other than MANN, these fleece oil filters are very good: Hengst, Mahle, Bosch.

okay thanks for the help. How difficult is it to remove the plastic splash shield to get to the drain plug? If its a real pain I'll just buy a pump. I'll definitely use the 0w40 M1 if thats what the warranty calls for. My dad just said 10w40 because he thought thats what they ran. Also, which is the best filter to use? I like the idea of the filter on the top of the engine so it won't leak everywhere when changing it but I don't know much about cartridge filters. I'm currently looking for the specs on how tight it should be. It appears as though the dealership didn't even tighten down the cap for the filter and the o-rings were barely seated causing the oil to run down the engine.

edit: just read the above post, thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'm currently looking for the specs on how tight it should be.

The torque figure should be written right on the cap. It's probably somewhere in the vicinity of 25 Nm which is approx. 18 pound-foot.

In my case, the dealer screwed it on so tight, it took Herculean forces to get the darn thing off.

In addition to Rockauto, AutohausAZ has good prices on a lot of maintenance items for German cars. Free shipping if your order totals $50 or more.

The dust shield if it is anything like the older Mercedes should be held on by 6 8 or 10mm screws. Once off it will just drop down. Its been a while as I pump the oil out instead of draining it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back