Mobil Delvac 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use it in my '03 7.3 PSD, and it runs great. I have used it over this winter, but I back that up with a pan heater when it gets below 25F. I also use it in my '01 VW TDI in the summer. No consumption or heat related issues. Mileage didn't change from synthetic to Delvac. I have also run it in my lawnmower, again with no hiccups. By all accounts, and the number of specs it meets, it seems like a bulletproof oil for almost any 4-stroke engine above 25F.

For me Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 certainly works well. It has higher viscosity and especially higher HTHS viscosity than synthetic variants and most other oils. It seems to be doing better than other oils in viscosity retention and wear protection in UOA charts posted around. It's also the only multigrade oil I'm aware of that is certified for the CF-2 category -- the extreme environment of severe-duty two-stroke-cycle engines. It's not just an heavy-duty engine oil but it's a severe-duty engine oil.

Mobil products have a excellent reputation for engine cleanliness and wear protection, in Mobil One, Mobil Super 5k or Delvac 1300. I have seen Delvac 1300 take heavy equipment to 30,000 plus hours without a rebuild and have worked with truckers who would not use any other oil.

Another outstanding Mobil product I have used in 424 transaxle and hydraulic oil. Again they have taken heavy equipment I have worked with to over 30,000 miles on original transmissions and hydraulic pumps.

Here is a very interesting systematic UOA comparison of Valvoline Premium Blue, Delo LE, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super, and Rotella 15W-40 oils:

Valvoline Blue, Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac, and Shell Rotella UOA comparison

Delvac seems to be the winner; although Delo and Rotella seem to be very close. Valvoline Blue seems to be a little further behind.

Note that Shell Rotella and Valvoline Blue have virtually no friction modifiers (molybdenum and boron) and for this reason I wouldn't put these two oils in my engine myself. Some amount of friction modifiers is necessary to improve the effectiveness of ZDDP (because they decrease the force on the wear surfaces, on which ZDDP gets attached).

Delo has the most friction modifiers (some more molybdenum and a lot more boron); although, this doesn't necessarily translate into better wear protection, as there is an optimum level to increase the effectiveness of ZDDP and beyond that friction modifiers might actually decrease the effectiveness of ZDDP by getting in the way.

Delvac is the clear winner in viscosity retention. Rotella is the second best, and Delo and Blue fell behind significantly in viscosity retention. In my engine viscosity retention is important as I have high mileage (increased oil consumption); therefore, this eliminates Delo and Blue for me as well.

So, for my purposes, Mobil Delvac is the winner in all respects, as Shell Rotella and Valvoline Blue have no friction modifiers (therefore have questionable wear protection) and Chevron Delo and Valvoline Blue don't nearly match the viscosity retention of Mobil Delvac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back