Pennzoil GT 25W50 Race VOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received my Pennzoil GT 25W50 Dino VOA from Blackstone. WOW!!what a Strong oil Package. I just installed a Big Bore Kit with high lift cams in my Harley, This will be the oil!

Moly = 106

Boron = 202

Silicon = 28

Sodium = 2

Calcium = 2772

Magnesium = 8

Phos = 2452

Zinc = 2816

Flash = 490

TBN = 8

Wow...isn't the Zinc level a little too high and could it cause corrosion? never thought I'd ask that question!

3.69 a quart at the local Farm and Home. Good stuff, currently in my V Twin Suzuki SV650S. Good shift action initially (no different than the usual M1 15w50 when it's fresh), the jury is out on long term until I get some miles on it when the weather decides to get better. I can't see an issue with the Zn count. Isn't that like money and time, never enough?

beanoil, thanks for your input, it's nice to hear someone else is using this oil in their bike with good results.

I'm not trying to be funny or to start anything, but those zinc and phos numbers are very, very, high.

Personally, I'd like to see another VOA from a different lab.

I've been using the Valvoline VR1 because the UOAs posted here are very good.

This Pennzoil GT 20W-50 might just be the best thing since sliced bread. Who would have thought it ?

Originally Posted By: kballowe
I'm not trying to be funny or to start anything, but those zinc and phos numbers are very, very, high.

Personally, I'd like to see another VOA from a different lab.

I've been using the Valvoline VR1 because the UOAs posted here are very good.

This Pennzoil GT 20W-50 might just be the best thing since sliced bread. Who would have thought it ?

Since the world wide web picks up on everything and especially on BITOG when it comes to oil, thought I would correct a typing error.

This oil is the Pennzoil GT 25W-50 Racing Oil, not to be confused with the GT 20W-50 street oil. I have no doubt the VOA numbers posted above are not accurate. It is a very well formulated high performance oil that will not be diluted by ethanol, methanol, or nitro methane fuels. Back when the old Pennzoil Company was heavily involved in racing (NHRA, WOO, etc.) it was the oil of choice by most.

Kballowe, No worries! I know your not being funny or starting anything and I agree with you, VR1 is a great oil with good reviews, I just believe Pennz GT 25W50 has the edge with wear additives and its probably more then what I need but I sleep better, lol!..Blow is a note from Pennzoil tech, I believe my VOA is real close. See very last sentence.

I sent an Email to Pennzoil asking about the content of Zinc in their oil. Here is their reply:

Thank you for your interest in our products.
You are correct the zinc in the ZDDP package for motor oil additives has been reduced recently to help protect catalytic converters on today's vehicles. Basically any oils prior to the API SM (such as SL, SJ, SH, etc.) will have at least 1000ppm zinc. The Pennzoil oils with an API SM rating will have the reduced zinc content (800-850ppm) while those such as the Pennzoil Outdoor Motorcycle Motor Oil in both SAE 10W-40 and SAE 20W-50 with the API SH will have 1100-1200ppm zinc. Other oils containing higher zinc levels will be any oil with a diesel rating, API CI-4 or CJ-4. The Shell Rotella SAE 15W-40 contains 1100-1200ppm zinc and Pennzoil Racing Motor Oil SAE 25W-50 has 1980ppm zinc.
Sincerely

Oh OK - THANKS !

Over the years, and before there was a BITOG.... we used a lot of Castrol 20W-50 in air cooled bikes and changed it often. Seemed to give good service.

I just wasn't aware that there was a Pennzoil "Racing" 20W-50. .... And I would never have dreamed that the VOA looked as good as it does.

We've been using the VR1 because it was turning up good numbers. Wasn't aware that there was something else as good.....in a conventional oil. It's nice to have a choice !

Now if we can just talk one of the Harley guys into using this stuff and posting a UOA !! HA !

Last edited:
For sure! as soon as the weather breaks here in Michigan and I get a few miles with this 25w50 oil, I will do a UOA, I'm curious myself!

Stay Tuned, Thanks

kballowe, it is not 20W-50, it is a 25W-50 and I think the OP is using this in his Harley. Believe he said something about a big bore kit being installed.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
kballowe, it is not 20W-50, it is a 25W-50 and I think the OP is using this in his Harley. Believe he said something about a big bore kit being installed.

DUH ! I need to work on my reading comprehension skills.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: oliver88
Wow...isn't the Zinc level a little too high and could it cause corrosion? never thought I'd ask that question!

Please don't flame me, my reference books are
8000 mi away.
Zn/P levels over 2000ppm can cause metallurgical
changes in the cam lobes that can cause
brittleness and chunking.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back