Surprise FL500s clone on my '04 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was a frustrating afternoon. Went to do the oil change on the new to me '04 F150 supercrew with the 5.4. Go to remove the oil filter only to find: A. the quickie lube gorilla put this one on - don't even want to mention how many turns past gasket contact this was... and B. It was much skinner than the FL820s that is the specified filter! What on earth...

Turns out it was a Pennzoil PZ-174. Cross referencing shows this is the equivalent of the FL500s in this lineup, which appears on some newer Ford products, notably the truck engines and the new mustang V8.

The quickie lube place that installed indicated that they are installing this filter in all FL-820s applications now as a consolidation in their lineup. Not sure that is bad or good, but a royal pain for those of us only equipped for the wide filters like the FL-820s!

And,occasionally the FL-820S is installed in place of the FL-500S, e.g. on 2009-2011 Fusions, etc.

You have identified one of several problems with the quickie lube vendors...generic filter replacements which disregard manufacturer's specs such as changes in oil pump pressures (flow rates)as is the case in the FL-820/500 scenario.

That's why I do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back