2004 Dodge Ram Motor Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, All:
I'm looking for a recommendation for motor oil in my early 2004 Dodge Ram 3500. It has a 5.9 Cummins diesel mated to an automatic with 125,000 miles. I currently have Rotella T6 in the crankcase and Amsoil products everywhere else.
I use it for my 50-mile (each way) commute, but it also tows occasionally. When I tow, it is at a gross weight of nearly 18,000 lbs. I'd like to stick with synthetic. Any thoughts? Thank you.

I suppose you could run amsoil AME 15w40 and change it every 10,000 miles. Since you do drive 50 miles each way to work im assuming that is all highway. But then again the rotella would probably make it 10,000 miles too. Especially since you have an early 04 that means the engine is very easy on oil since it doesn't have an internal egr system that runs off the camshaft like the 04.5 and up models. Now if you aren't running mostly freeway miles then I wouldn't advise 10,000 mile intervals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about T6...other than it's only $20/gallon at WalMart! The problem is more often than not it's out of stock.
Madman, you're right - no EGR or exhaust fluid on the 04.
I don't do extended OCI on anything. On this vehicle it's every 7500 miles.

Last edited:
Redline 5w40 and 15w40 are very good oils with extra stout additive packages, if you don't mind paying ~$10 per quart. I'd put it ahead of AMSOil AME on my list of oils to run in the Cummins.

IIRC, Cummins engines from 2003 to 2007 had EGR, so you need a CI4+ oil. It was the 2007 engines that got particulate traps, requiring use of CJ4 oils.

I am currently running M1 TDT in my 2001 Cummins Dodge. I just put it in last November, and haven't driven it much over the winter, so I can't really give a thumbs up or down. Cold starting is much easier compared to VPB Classic 15w40 that I had been using.

In addition to the Redline, other oils I am considering for my next change are Schaeffers Supreme 9000, and Petro Canada Duron Synthetic. These are all CI4+ oils that have high TBN numbers that would be good for long OCI's. They are probably more robust oils than RT6, but less easy to find. But then again, RT6 is nothing to run away from.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
IIRC, Cummins engines from 2003 to 2007 had EGR, so you need a CI4+ oil. It was the 2007 engines that got particulate traps, requiring use of CJ4 oils.

I'm pretty sure that none of the 5.9L Cummins engines have EGR. The exception to this was the '96-'98 California models. The 6.7L Cummins does have EGR AFAIK.

I also have a early 2004 Dodge 5.9L Cummins and mine doesn't have EGR. I use Rotella T6 and highly recommend it.

No EGR on my early 04. No exhaust addatives either. I tried buying Schaeffers, but it was too difficult. I've never had more difficulty trying to part with $350 in my life. That said, my research suggested this was a good oil. So are Amsoil products, but they have priced themselves out of consideration.

T6 does generally well performs well, particularly as far as price/performance, so unless you've got a reason to change, I'd stick with it.

The 5.9 CTD is very easy on oil. No need for a synthetic IMO.

My '07 5.9 gets Mobil Delvac at 10,000 miles. My truck doesn't get driven unless something is hitched to it. Thats generally a 33' fifth wheel that puts me at about 20,000 combined.

With Delvac's $4 per gallon rebate right now,the Delvac will be about $6-7 a gallon depending on the place you buy it.

You can't beat that IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back