M1 0w40 . . . . or . . . . . GC 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have narrowed my selection to these two for the Jetta.

I was just wondering if anyone felt one was better. By looking at VOA's, the M1 looks a little more robust.

Please don't write things like "VOA's dont really mean much", or "Both are great, use whatever is cheapest".

I know these things. I am just being anal and wondering if anyone has any opinions on which one they like better and why.

Thanks!

P.S. I want to do an oil change So0o0o0o bad! Only have 460 miles on the car though!! Waiting suxs!

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Please don't write things like "VOA's dont really mean much", or "Both are great, use whatever is cheapest".

I know these things. I am just being anal and wondering if anyone has any opinions on which one they like better and why.

The problem is, no one has the necessary information or expertise to make such a fine-grained distinction.

Imagine asking someone who knows almost nothing about cars whether a Lamborghini or a Ferrari is a better performing car. They probably would pick based on something irrelevant, like how the car looks or whether they could spell the name correctly. That's more or less the position we're in, picking based on additive PPM counts in VOAs because we have no idea how each oil actually works on the chemical level.

If you need a spec that one oil meets and the other doesn't, that makes the choice easy. Other than that, we're in the dark. However, if both oils meet the specs you need, any difference between them probably won't matter at all anyway. That's a key point, I would think.
wink.gif

What it comes down to is M1 can be found everywhere whereas GC cannot - that being said many would pick GC - if it's rare it must be good .

Hello rg200amp, I will share with you what I have found. I own a VQ35DE which is notoriously hard on oil. The GC30 and Mobil 0W40 perform best in my engine for street applications. They are both high in PAO and are similar in UOA performance. What works better in my engine may not work better in yours. However if I really had the itch I would run GC30 for 4K & do a UOA and compare it with M1 0W40. I can not find the GC30 in my neck of the woods therefore I only get to run M1 0W40 which I am glad to find on sale for $4.99 a quart. If I could get both products I would use the one that cost less. Of course that isn't the answer you wanted.

I'm pretty sure you get free maintenance. If doing interrim changes, Id want to try to keep the oil the same, so I'd select the oil that is the same as the free maintenance. The oils you list plus the VW oil (BC?) are all good so I'd be most interested in keeping lube additive consistency.

You've been infected with BITOG fever. 460 miles on a new car, and you're looking forward to the first oil change!

I think GC is pretty neat stuff, but think the M1 0w40 would be better for your application. What does your owner's manual require?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

The problem is, no one has the necessary information or expertise to make such a fine-grained distinction.

Imagine asking someone who knows almost nothing about cars whether a Lamborghini or a Ferrari is a better performing car. They probably would pick based on something irrelevant, like how the car looks or whether they could spell the name correctly. That's more or less the position we're in, picking based on additive PPM counts in VOAs because we have no idea how each oil actually works on the chemical level.

If you need a spec that one oil meets and the other doesn't, that makes the choice easy. Other than that, we're in the dark. However, if both oils meet the specs you need, any difference between them probably won't matter at all anyway. That's a key point, I would think.
wink.gif

Im looking for peoples views. Not hard fact, data backed, info. If you have tried both, what one did you buy a second time, third time, ect. . . It may be because of price, bottle design, ect. . . . I am just wondering peoples personal opinions.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm pretty sure you get free maintenance. If doing interrim changes, Id want to try to keep the oil the same, so I'd select the oil that is the same as the free maintenance. The oils you list plus the VW oil (BC?) are all good so I'd be most interested in keeping lube additive consistency.

Yes, I get 3 free 5w40 syntec changes from my dealer. That is a reason to stay with the castrol brand. While I would not buy myself 5w40, The 0w30 GC is an option. . . .

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
You've been infected with BITOG fever. 460 miles on a new car, and you're looking forward to the first oil change!

I think GC is pretty neat stuff, but think the M1 0w40 would be better for your application. What does your owner's manual require?

Infected??? I am riddled with the fever!!!!

I worry about this [censored], that's how bad it is. I think I has a slight and undiagnosed case of obsessive compulsive disorder!

VW says to use 5w40 or any oil that meets spec VW 502.

Both carry VW 502, the GC doesn't shear much and is a thick 30w. The M1 shears but starts as a 40w.
Look at your temp and driving expectations for the next 5k and choose.
FWIW - I've used GC for over eight years and almost 140k in a sludger Toyota with great UOAs. I would expect the M1 to have given me the same results.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Both carry VW 502, the GC doesn't shear much and is a thick 30w. The M1 shears but starts as a 40w.
FWIW - I've used GC for over eight years and almost 140k in a sludger Toyota with great UOAs. I would expect the M1 to have given me the same results.

Is GC an actual approved vw 502 oil? Or does it just meet the specs?

I've seen the M1 0W-40 on an approved list, but I can't recall seeing the GC there.

Thanks
smile.gif

Since you have a new car warranty, you should stay with a 40-weight. If anything would happen to the engine while running the 30-weight, at least that issue would be avoided. In a choice between free oil changes with Syntec 5w40, and paying for my own oil changes with M1 0w40, I would go with the M1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I've seen the M1 0W-40 on an approved list, but I can't recall seeing the GC there.

Thanks
smile.gif

Yes, GC is an approved VW502 oil.

Since you have a new car warranty, you should stay with a 40-weight. If anything would happen to the engine while running the 30-weight, at least that issue would be avoided. In a choice between free oil changes with Syntec 5w40, and paying for my own oil changes with M1 0w40, I would go with the M1 0w40.

I know what your saying, but VW themselves have given the GC the 502 approval.
So, I do not think there would be any issues. As for the dealers 5w40, I am going to use it. Free oil is free oil. I only get three anyway. . .

Im thinking I will use either the M1 or the GC during winter, since they are 0w's and the dealer syntec during summer. . .

I've used both in my BMW and prefer GC. While GC starts thinner, it is more shear stable and ends up thicker than M1 within a couple thousand kilometers. I believe GC to be thinner at extreme cold winter temps too.

The biggest reason I stick with GC is that it's MUCH quieter in my engine. Everyone won't experience this, I'm sure, but I definitely do. M1 0W40 and GC both give me excellent UOA results.

I know you don't want to hear it, but "either will be fine". M1 0W40 should be far easier for you to obtain and it will possibly be priced better. Give it a whirl and if you don't have an unwelcome increase in noise then you've found your oil...

I hear more engine noise on M1 0W-40 than other oils, I also see less oil pressure on M1 compared to other oils. It's more expensive than other oils here, where I live.
I also don't like Walmart, really, big issue for me.
I also tend to believe that GC offers better protection than M1.
All entirely subjective.
Support German economy, buy GC.
Your mileage may vary...

GC doesn't support the German economy. It supports the British economy.

If anything, buy Mobil 1 and it will support the US economy.

German Castrol Syntec has a rebate right now of $15 dollars per oil change until April 30,2011. It is on the Castrol webpage. Castrol Edge is $20 rebate.

From my experiences so far of using Mobil 1 and Castrol. Castrol seems to run smoother and very quiet in Mercedes engines while Mobil 1 is much louder. On the Castrol webpage OW30 is advertised as a winter motor oil where as Mobil 1 can be used year round. Im sure OW30 can be used year round depending on your climate and temps during the summers. Newer engines have no trouble using thin oils in summer but older ones need thicker for the protection and also looser tolerances.

Syntec exceeds VW 502 00, 505 00 specs.

Last edited:
Well, I changed the oil. M1 0w40.

The drained oil, while still a normal color, looked like it had glitter in it. Glad I got what little wear metals that were in there, out.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Thanks
smile.gif

Yes, GC is an approved VW502 oil.

I know what your saying, but VW themselves have given the GC the 502 approval.
So, I do not think there would be any issues. As for the dealers 5w40, I am going to use it. Free oil is free oil. I only get three anyway. . .

Im thinking I will use either the M1 or the GC during winter, since they are 0w's and the dealer syntec during summer. . .

True that GC is 502 approved.....but your manual is going clearly state that you should be using 5w40.....and they don't deviate from that directive. You can use GC and feel great peace of mind that it is awesome for your engine, but have something go wrong and let VAG find out that you strayed from the directive of 5w40....and you risk any coverage. They have the right to do that.

Now....what you could do is.....let VW change the oil at 10k, 20k, and 30k..... And you can do your own changes at 5k, 15k, 25k and 35k..... That's what I am doing and I ain't tellin them I am doing it....no documentation. Once I hit 40k, then I will have to make a hard decision... Which oil to pour in????

Right now, the "in between" changes are GC in my Passat. But I also just purchased four cases of M1 0w40 (because it was $4 a quart)....and that is what I will use at some point.

By the way, my son has the 2.5L in his 2008 Rabbit. He has been running Syntec 5w40 all along....until a month ago and he poured in M1 0w40. He said that the car "feels" better than ever and he won't go back to Syntec 5w40. He likes the M1 better.

Well, I changed the oil. M1 0w40.

The drained oil, while still a normal color, looked like it had glitter in it. Glad I got what little wear metals that were in there, out.

I did the same thing in my Passat...dumping the factory fill at 500 miles (if I remember correctly)...and poured in GC. Then I changed it again at 5k miles and used GC as well.

Last edited:
I believe the VW manual states any 502 oil is ok. I have checked with my dealer who said 'put in ANY 502 oil and you're ok'.

Changing oil at 500 m or 1000m is not only wasteful, it is needlessly bad for the environment. If you feel the need to outguess the engineers, then change your oil filter.
Changing oil too frequently may be more harmful for you car.

But even though the above has been stated many times, many owners still insist they know better. What can you do.

LOL @ someone with over 2000 posts asking this question.

What would you say is the most valuable thing you've learned in your time here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back