nitrogen tire fill plus air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so I just took my winter tires off and put my stock rims/tires back on. They were filed with nitrogen from when I bought them but were 4-7psi low so I topped them all off at 34 but just with an air compressor. I doubt theres any issues but I assume its okay to mix the two? Just wanted to check

its okay to mix the two...

although the compressed air will escape your tire a lot sooner than the nitrogen... so you may find yourself back to the pressure level you started with a lot sooner..

hope that makes sense..

its okay to mix the two...

although the compressed air will escape your tire a lot sooner than the nitrogen... so you may find yourself back to the pressure level you started with a lot sooner..

hope that makes sense..

It is ok to mix them but you just lost any benifit you were getting from the nitrogen. Your air compressor contains moisture for one and the nitrogen has to be at about or above 97% pure to have any effect. Basicly you are back to regular air.

Greg

All you need is dry air - anything else is a bunch of hooey. Good luck getting dry air out a a stand-alone gas station/quik mart outdoor compressor!

I just put my winter wheels/tires away, and took my all season wheels/tire set out of the basement.

They were sitting for about 4-5 months in my semi-heated basement. The pressure should be 32-34psi. All 4 of them were down to 21-22 psi.

Tires do lose some air... These are pretty much new goodyear all seasons mounted on steel wheels.

Some people get weird when nitrogen in tires is discussed. They have an emotional reaction. The difference between dry air and nitrogen is small but nitrogen is a bit better. It leaks less, and does not oxidize rubber from the inside. Adding air (or air+water) to a nitrogen-filled tire does not negate the small advantage of the existing nitrogen. It just dilutes the advantage of the nitrogen vs ordinary air+water.

I would think that if there were any advantage to nitrogen filled tires that the auto companies would use it at the factory.
It's raining hard here right now so I'm not going to walk out to the garage to see if my owner's manual recommends nitrogen but I'd bet $20 it doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I would think that if there were any advantage to nitrogen filled tires that the auto companies would use it at the factory.
It's raining hard here right now so I'm not going to walk out to the garage to see if my owner's manual recommends nitrogen but I'd bet $20 it doesn't.

It is not going to be in your manual. But then most car manuals still don't even recommend to use synthetic oil. Airlines use nitrogen. I would be surprised if race cars don't use nitrogen.

http://www.barrystiretech.com/nitrogeninflation.html offers a good analysis, although I don't know if the water analysis is complete. I don't use nitrogen. It's not worth $20 to me. It's worth something. Adding air a little more often is not such a big deal to me.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
They were sitting for about 4-5 months in my semi-heated basement. The pressure should be 32-34psi. All 4 of them were down to 21-22 psi.

It's strange that they're all down such a large and consistent amount. I look for slow leaks when one of my tires is that low after seasonal storage. The three sets I look after lose about 3 psi during that time period. I fill with a 78% nitrogen Canadian blend. Ambient temperatures during the spring and fall change-overs are similar.

Originally Posted By: Carbon
Some people get weird when nitrogen in tires is discussed. They have an emotional reaction.

Yeah, I don't get why they get all emotional over Nitrogen, when the laws of physics are pretty clear and have been understood for a while.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Carbon
Some people get weird when nitrogen in tires is discussed. They have an emotional reaction.

Yeah, I don't get why they get all emotional over Nitrogen, when the laws of physics are pretty clear and have been understood for a while.
Myself and several other engineers were meeting with one of our Senators some months ago. There were some technical issues involved and one of those present pointed out that we were dealing with some laws of physics that had to be addressed. The Senator said that any laws were always subject to revocation. You can't make this stuff up--yikes!! John--Las Vegas.

That's a scary thought!

Some of our fleets tires simply do not leak. They go literally years with no significant loss. Others are losing air regularly.

We use a simple attachment on an air compressor that removes water. This makes our 'mix' equal to nitrogen!

Nitrogen is a joke IMO unless your a race car driver or a pilot. Even a totally flat tire has air in it, so when you add nitrogen, there is already air in the flat tire. A one hundred percent nitrogen fill is impossible.
Its is advantageous for aircraft because of the extreme temperature changes while flying. Nitrogen doesnt migrate out of tires like oxygen when heated/cooled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back