Traction/ Tire help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost low sided yesterday, pitched into a corner and the back end almost got out from under me. The tires are 4K miles and about 13mo old. I was about 5mi into the ride and this was the second RH turn that I took at this speed. I went back and looked at the pavement and could see no reason for the slide.
The tire had a slight "green" tint to the "chicken strip" which to me indicated old rubber not used in some time.
Now to the question: is there a product I can use to remove the old rubber on the outer edges of the tire. I would prefer a wipe on,but would sanding work?
All this wealth of experience on BITOG we should be able to come up with something that will work.
Thanks guys Smoky

Find some sand you can sink in, lock the front brake, and give 'er some gas! Rock side to side after you break traction.

Originally Posted By: RWEST

I like the 80 grit sandpaper method myself.

I always do it on new tires too, to help clean the "newness" off of them..

The "newness" is mold release compound IIRC. It is by nature a slippery product....perfect for new tire low-sides.

I always take new tyres in gravel first,takes off the mould release.I have gravel roads close by,but there is a gravel parking area close by where I do a few donuts,left,right,ride through the stock pile to get them in deep.Then go for a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back