Need oil suggestion for 92 Camry with 210,000 mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, new to the site here. I just bought a 92 Toyota Camry with 210,000. It has the 3.0 V6 engine. From what I can tell, the car looks very clean inside and out and seemed to have been maintained very well.

All fluids including the oil are very clean.

I would welcome any suggestions on what type of oil to use in a high mileage car like this. It will be driven daily back and forth to work everyday about 60 miles round trip.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Do you know what the previous owner used? If its regular oil, I'd stick with it and go with what ever is on sale (my personal biased choice would be PYB 5w30 or 10w30 depending on which part of the US you live in)

Any API SM/SN GF4/GF5 oil. The higher the spec the better.

Yours is not a sludge monster. With that commute, any current oil spec will give you the 7.5k interval with any store bought oil filter.

For the power steering and automatic transmission, any full synthetic ATF is great. Any multi-vehicle/universal ATF can also be used. Mercon-V is a great upgrade if on a budget.

If its a manual trans, Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90.

I do recommend full synthetic everywhere as they help with extremes(cold starts, hot abuse), and could give you that little MPG boost.

Maxlife "only" if it leaks, uses oil or is a weak engine.

Change your PCV!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Maxlife 5W-30 every 7500 miles.

+1

+2; it's all I use in my high mileage Toyota. It does seem to help reduce oil consumption a bit.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Maxlife "only" if it leaks, uses oil or is a weak engine.

Change your PCV!
thumbsup2.gif

+1,000!

My 3.0 (3VZE) has needed a slightly heavier wt oil in the summer to keep the pressure up...especially when 4-wheeling (think slow/hot engine...)I currently have a 5W40 in there - and it's about the same vintage/mileage as your Camry...

If your pressure is good, I would go 10W30 (recommended in the manual) or 5W30 in the winter (also in the manual). I haven't needed a HM oil...and I know I'll sound like a heretic here on BITOG, but I don't like the seal conditioners in most HM oils - they're mostly just solvent that softens up the seals...

Depending on your desired OCI (I bet the factory recommends 5K/6 months) you could go with a good dino for a 5K OCI. I wouldn't go past that in an engine this old - somewhat greater fuel dilution and more blow-by from the rings at that age...

Given your miles/day, I figure you're going to be driving about 15K/year, so I would go 10W30 synthetic with a 6 month/7.5K OCI...do a UOA at that point and see if you can extend it, but with my old Toyota, the oil at 6 months smells a bit like gasoline...and I just "feel" better doing a 6 month OCI...

Last edited:
If the engine is not an oil burner or leaker, and with the amount of miles you are driving, I would go with M1 5-30HM and change it every 10K.

Originally Posted By: tig1
If the engine is not an oil burner or leaker, and with the amount of miles you are driving, I would go with M1 5-30HM and change it every 10K.

Well....I know what you're saying...but a 19 year old motor with over 200K, even if it isn't a burner or leaker, is going to contaminate the oil faster than a new motor.

Rings and valve guides wear, further, the engine management on that is somewhat less precise than a car that is 10 or 20 years newer...leading to greater fuel dilution...

I wouldn't go 10K on an engine this old unless a UOA told me it was OK...

I have no idea what brand of oil the previous owner used. It has an oil change sticker from a quick lube place and according to the sticker is due in about another 1000 miles. I've put about 1000 miles on the car since I got it and checking the dipstick it hasn't used any so far. The engine is also completely dry with no oil leaks whatsoever.

I'll get the pcv changed as some of you have suggested. And maybe since it's a higher mileage engine I'll go with a 10w30 for the summer.

I'm still undecided on what brand to use. Is the maxlife worth it if it's not leaking? Or will the seal conditioners potentially create a problem?

If I had to just choose a regular dino oil, what would be a good reliable brand to use? And I don't plan on going long intervals in between oil changes.

Last edited:
If it's not leaking, then the advantage of High Mileage oil is diminished. It's my opinion that because those seal conditioners swell the seals, they will accelerate the wear of good seals. If your seals are leaking, OK, give the HM a try...but in your case? Why bother?

There are a lot of really good oils out there...this forum has is advocates for every brand. I like Pennzoil, plain old yellow bottle, but most of the rest are quite good....surf the forums and you'll find many advocates for each one...

My take?

Buy what's on special at your local Auto parts store. For example, 5 Qts of Castrol GTX and a Pure One filter at Advance Auto parts for about $19...a good deal.

And at that price, you can afford to change it a bit more often...

Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back