5w-20 in GM 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got two changes worth of 5w-20,left over from my Wrangler. I sold the Wrangler and don't know anyone with a car that needs 5w-20.

GM recommends 5w-30 in my '07 Tahoe. Any issues running a 5000 mile OCI with the 5w-20? Or should I just rely on the OLM and run it out to 6000-6500 like the OLM normally says to?

The oil in question is PYB and M1

No issues that I can see except for possible increased oil consumption.... With the 6 or 7 GM 4.8,5.3,6.0 that I have delt with over the last 7 years, I would say check the oil more frequently. GM engines in my experience use oil....Some 1QT per 5k, some 6.0's 1qt per 500miles....just the nature of the beast.. Also One thing I have noticed is that some Gm engine will use 2qts of BRAND X in 5k but switch to BRAND Y and only 1qt loss...Anyone care to explain that one?
Dusty

Don't most 5w30s shear down to a 20 weight anyway?? Unless I misunderstood the 10 or 12 posts on the subject, or this Tahoe is an EXTREME case I see no logic to rat's post. PYB is a decent oil.. use it with confedence.... M1.....eeerrrr.... sorry tig. I'm not going to Comment on the M1 I get flogged HARD for it

I think it will be OK for mild weather and mild driving. I would not generally recommend 5W20 in a GM engine.

This requires more than predictive thinking - it requires psychic ability.

You'd probably be OK, but I'd stick with the 5-30.
Why? GM knows about 5-20 oil. They'd use in in a heartbeat if they could [CAFE benefits and Gov't regs.]

Maybe you could substitute a qt of 5-20 to your normal 5-30 oil change.

I like to stick with what the mfg suggests. Which means I have both 20 and 30 grade oils in my stash. I'd sell the oil, or use it up one qt each OCI in your GM 5.3.

I'm sure the engine will go BOOM as soon as you start it up. NOT.
Your engine would probably never notice the difference and you might get a bit better gas mileage. If you use it I like the plan of mixing it with some 30 wt maybe 2 quarts at a time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
No issues that I can see except for possible increased oil consumption.... With the 6 or 7 GM 4.8,5.3,6.0 that I have delt with over the last 7 years, I would say check the oil more frequently. GM engines in my experience use oil....Some 1QT per 5k, some 6.0's 1qt per 500miles....just the nature of the beast.. Also One thing I have noticed is that some Gm engine will use 2qts of BRAND X in 5k but switch to BRAND Y and only 1qt loss...Anyone care to explain that one?
Dusty

At 80,000 miles,I've never seen the dipstick low,and have never added any oil. Thats based on 5w-30 being run the majority of the time.

If this engine uses oil,I can't detect it.

Don't most 5w30s shear down to a 20 weight anyway?? Unless I misunderstood the 10 or 12 posts on the subject, or this Tahoe is an EXTREME case I see no logic to rat's post. PYB is a decent oil.. use it with confedence.... M1.....eeerrrr.... sorry tig. I'm not going to Comment on the M1 I get flogged HARD for it

No flogging allowed! Ha! I think I would stick with a 30wt oil with a GM engine. However I used M1 5-20 in engines requireing heavier oils in the 70s. No problems at all. I also believe Fsskier has used 0-20 M1 in engines calling for 30wt oils. It's a personal call.

I can't believe that no one has recommended that you start your oil stash. Then use the 5W-20 up in the cooler months and/or whenever you are out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Dusty

At 80,000 miles,I've never seen the dipstick low,and have never added any oil. Thats based on 5w-30 being run the majority of the time.

If this engine uses oil,I can't detect it.

Same here. My 2006 Sierra Denali 6.0L has never used any oil between changes. I have 60k miles and used M1 5W/30 or 10W/30 since new.

Last edited:
Usually any parts store will let you exchange brand for brand....unless of course the old is SM and the new is SN!

Originally Posted By: ddean
Then use the 5W-20 up in the cooler months and/or whenever you are out of warranty.

I sometimes use RL 5W-20 (or even 0W-20 if it gets BITTER cold!
crazy2.gif
) to 'thin out' the 5W-30/10W-40 mix I use, by changing the filter and draining a little bit out of the sump.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
Usually any parts store will let you exchange brand for brand

I know PepBoys will allow you to exchange oil and pay any difference between the price of 5w20 and 5w30/10w30.

I recently traded a Ford Fusion for an Impala and was in the same spot. Had roughly 5 qt. of 5w20 left I never used. What I have been doing is what someone has already mentioned which is adding one qt. of 5w20 per oil change to the 5w30 just to use it up and get something out of it instead of just getting rid of it. Yea, I probably could have takin it back. But I have had no issues so far. Gone through 2 oci. This is in the 3.5 liter.

Do you have an old sewing machine around that needs oiling?
Use it in that!

Just kidding.
smile.gif

I like the mixing idea, but buy 10w40 of the same brand and mix it with that to get a decent 30-weight. If you want to get fancy, use the Widman calculator to determine exact percentages to get the viscosity you want.
I wouldn't run a 5w20 in a GM engine unless it was Redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back