Cut Open: Fram XG8A 13,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram Xtended Guard XG8A with 13,541 miles/4 months. This is from a 1997 Dodge caravan with 3.3L w/233,445 mi. Oversized for the app. Oil was Rotella T6 5w-40.

I crunched it when taking it off thats why the can and media are dented.

It looks sludgy, but its not. It is just the fibers looking funny. Looks almost like it filtered out a hair ball. lol

2i1pfuw.jpg

1z6v0q8.jpg

k51r3c.jpg

2d2c01h.jpg

dvqzi9.jpg

w9xhqu.jpg

If there is a better filter on the market, I haven't seen it.

Looks good. Usually the frams I see the media is all wavy and somewhat collapsed. That one looks good though.

Filter looks real nice for the mileage. The T6 also looks pretty good considering the oil in view came from the filter. How is T6 in regard to oil consumptions.

Nice.

I still don't understand when people cut open an oil filter with only 5 or 6K miles, post pictures and some BITOG members are impressed. I just removed an oversized Purolator from a Honda with 18K miles (3 OCI's).

Originally Posted By: beast3300
How is T6 in regard to oil consumptions.

It was half qt low at 10k miles. I don't recall what consumption was previously to T6. It has a fill of Maxlife syn blend 10w-30 now. I will have to take note of any consumption.

Quote:
I crunched it when taking it off thats why the can and media are dented
Uh ohhh, that must mean the can is too thin and you should NEVER use one again.
grin2.gif
J/K

Only Fram worth a darn. If I regularly ran 10k+ OCI's it would be worth shot for the ~$9 Wally price. Kind of a shame these aren't included in any/more oil/filter change synthetic oil promos instead of the TG.

Thanks for the pics.

This filter was run for 30% longer than its design specs. I believe it is a 10k miles filter per Fram.

Originally Posted By: TTK
If there is a better filter on the market, I haven't seen it.

I totally agree with you....I am picking up some for the "fleet" next OCI for sure.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Nice.

I still don't understand when people cut open an oil filter with only 5 or 6K miles, post pictures and some BITOG members are impressed. I just removed an oversized Purolator from a Honda with 18K miles (3 OCI's).

Any pictures?

Actually, I found a cross-reference from FRAM's website of all places to an AC-Delco that fits my Stratus. On AAP's site search PF53.

Would it have the same innards of a UPF52 as linked by daman?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Originally Posted By: beast3300
How is T6 in regard to oil consumptions.

It was half qt low at 10k miles. I don't recall what consumption was previously to T6. It has a fill of Maxlife syn blend 10w-30 now. I will have to take note of any consumption.

nice!

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Would it have the same innards of a UPF52 as linked by daman?

No, the PF53 is not only shorter, but has different thread size and a bypass valve that you need. The '52s don't have any bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back