COCO the Parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this little guy almost 2 years ago,he is about 3/12 now.
The intelligence of these creatures never ceases to amaze me,he is toilet trained,speaks well and is beginning to do children's puzzles.
Research with the African grey Alex over 30 yrs has proven their intelligence is about that of a 3 yr old child.This species is very similar in intelligence.
He tries to construct short sentences.

The other thing with this guy is his love of coffee,every AM he waits to go in the shop and have his coffee with me.
Last week i went to do something and he couldn't see me,a few minutes later i hear this loud dada,dada coming towards me,he slid down from his play top and was walking over looking for me.

1000038i.jpg

sam0033copy.jpg

sam0198q.jpg

If anyone knows how i can keep surface rust off this cage he has in the shop it would sure be appreciated.
I cant use any chemicals or paint and steel wool only removes it but it comes back in a short time.

BTW the vet says a little coffee is not bad for him,they are omnivores with a more advanced digestive system and are not seed eaters.

Video of Alex once thought to be an abnormality but since alex many parrots display similar intelligence.

Parrots are amazing - my best friend has 2 African Greys, just like Alex. Somedays, they are smarter than I am!

We have lots of wild parrots around here, of at least three species. They know when the right trees are producing food and commute around the San Gabriel Valley, sometimes in big flocks.

That's a very pretty blue front you have there. They're wonderfully intelligent, but they can deliver quite a bite if you don't pay attention to their eyes. After that caffeine in the AM, you should make sure he's not pinpointing his pupils. Even after having one for years, they can surprise you. With springtime coming up you never know.

As far as keeping the rust off, the best thing I know is to get it powder coated or buy one that is. Prevue Hendryx makes some good ones for a fair price. He can't chip it off, and it will keep the metal from rusting.

Pretty bird.

What about mineral oil USP from drug or grocery store? It's super cheap and basically inert (it's marketed as an intestinal lubricant). I used it when I had a metal mouse wheel to quiet the squeaks. It doesn't last as long as a chemical spray, but if the animal licks it, shouldn't harm them a bit.

Great i'm going to give that a try,thanks.

Greenaccord yep i know about eye pinning,i got my fist big bird many years ago who darn near took my index finger off,skin off all the way down to the bone and fractured it.
I made a mistake of getting a big bird with no experience,i didn't have any idea how to handle them or how strong and dangerous they can be.

This one rarely gets pin eyed and has a really nice disposition.I can read his mood well and know enough to leave him alone when he needs space.Still i would never leave him alone with kids or stangers.

Amazons are kick ARSE. My Red Lord is a little SOB and freakin SMART. He LOVES people food. Show him and he'll eat it. Chinese, Italian, meat, chicken, pork, fish, (crazy about Salmon) veggies, cookies, yogurt, just to name a few.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I always wanted a pet raven - but the raven didnt want me
frown.gif

Gotta get them as babies.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Greenaccord yep i know about eye pinning,i got my fist big bird many years ago who darn near took my index finger off,skin off all the way down to the bone and fractured it.
I made a mistake of getting a big bird with no experience,i didn't have any idea how to handle them or how strong and dangerous they can be.

This one rarely gets pin eyed and has a really nice disposition.I can read his mood well and know enough to leave him alone when he needs space.Still i would never leave him alone with kids or stangers.

Sorry, I didn't know if I was preaching to the choir or not, but I figured better safe. I had one grab hold of a bunch of skin on my forearm and twist till the skin popped. Had another one take hold of my thumb and scrape his beak on the bone. These weren't my birds, but I managed a pet store so I had to handle them.

Nice bird. I was interesting in owning a parrot when I was a kid. Our local pet shop had one that was free to roam the store. They were quite expensive though. I haven't had any interaction with one since.

I recommend the documentary The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill to anyone who likes birds or animals in general.

A woman got him and had him till he wad 1 1/2 yrs old then apparently a child came onto the scene.
Cost was very little,i lost a smaller bird the same day as i got him of old age.He just happened to be in the same place as i was was at the same time and we got along.
Personally i believe a larger hand was at work.

Panda Bear he drinks brewed coffee,he doesn't drink enough to do harm but he definitely wants it in the morning along with about an hour of me talking to him and showing him what I'm doing.
They are very curious and need lots of human interaction.

Trav, about eye pinning. Do you mean when they dilate the eyes? If yes, that's what they're supposed to do when they pay attention. Meaning, they're listening. My red head dilates when I talk to him. NEVER aggressive and just a mush ball. In the 10 yrs, he nipped me ONCE as a baby. Other than that, he's awesome.

Like greenaccord said its much different.Its instant and intense,the animal has rage and wants to attack.The eye gets big and bright light orange color and seems to pulsate.
Much different than normal eye dilatation they have when they are paying attention.

Like greenaccord said its much different.Its instant and intense,the animal has rage and wants to attack.The eye gets big and bright light orange color and seems to pulsate.
Much different than normal eye dilatation they have when they are paying attention.

Ok, have to say I haven't seen that...yet. He's very calm. Maybe it's the way I raised him? Who knows or maybe I'm just lucky.

The species has a lot to do with it.My Macaw never did this and rarely if ever got aggressive.Blue fronted can get edgy fast under certain circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back