The highly praised Fram XG filter is junk also!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to relent and try one of these filters on one of my recent oil changes. My truck has NEVER had cold start up noise until the next day when I started my engine with this filter. I promptly removed the filter after I got back from town and after the engine cooled off. I replaced it with a Bosch Distance Plus and the start up noise went away. I'll never use ANY Fram again.

Thats it. Just 1 time??

Did you save the filter? I want to use it on my car ;-)

Hey, if you have a stash of these Fram Extended Guards on hand and want to get them out of your sight and off your hands let me know.

If they are the size I'm looking for, I'll relieve you of the burden of having to look at them and bringing sadness into your life. I'll do my best to give them a good home.

Thanks in advance,

Mongo

Possible problem with Fram filters causing engine noise on cold start; total inlet opening area is among the smallest based on the "GM truck oil filter study" which could restrict oil flow to below "spec" on some vehicles. More likely with 10w 40 vs. 5w 20. Inlet area with Amsoil or RP filter is about twice the Fram.

Has anyone else noticed this?

As long as total inlet size area is greater than the oil passage that feeds the filter, or the passage that the filter dumps into, I don't see it as a problem. Take a look at your oil filter mount and let us know how big that single passage is that feeds the entire filter. Calculate its area and compare it to the calculated area of all the little oil filter's passages.

I have used fram extended guard oil filters many times and i have never ever had a problem with them.
I feel there one of the best oil filters on the market along with wix and purolator pure one.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
I decided to relent and try one of these filters on one of my recent oil changes. My truck has NEVER had cold start up noise until the next day when I started my engine with this filter. I promptly removed the filter after I got back from town and after the engine cooled off. I replaced it with a Bosch Distance Plus and the start up noise went away. I'll never use ANY Fram again.

EVERY brand of filter, even the Bosch will have a bad filter out there. You were the unlucky one who used it. I just opened up a P1 that had a small tear in the media after 3K. Would that stop me from using P1? NO. Are P1 junk now because of my bad experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back