oem honda filters any good?

Just curious as to how the oem blue honda oil filters are? I am due for an oil change soon and will be running Mobil 1 synthetic extended performance for 6-8k in my honda just wondering if the honda filter would be up for the task? Open to suggestions as well, I know P1 is a popular choice around here. Thank you

OEM Honda blue filters were (and maybe still are) made by Fram. Use Purolater Pure One PL14459 (not PL14610, which is listed for most Honda auto applications. 14459 is shorter, larger diameter, and has better filtration specs.)

It is a Fram ToughGuard (felt endcaps and silicon ADBV). It is up to you. I personally don't like Fram EG or TG. The Xtended Guard are excellent quality though.

It depends, the Toyo Roki filter was great but the honeywell ones are only average. I'd take a PureOne anyday. That's a pretty easy OCI for your car, and actually Honda recommends the filter changed every other time, so you're pretty much OK with any filter.

The Mobil 1 M104 oil filter for my Honda Accord V6 was much larger than the OEM one. I thought it would not fit but it screws on and seals up fine. You ll just have a little more oil capacity because of the size.

Compare an OEM one and a Mobil 1 and you will see and feel the difference in quality and weight.

I know someone who runs 10,000 highway miles on his conventional oil using OEM Honda filters on their 2001 Honda V4 Accord with no problems. This guy is real cheap thats why...but so far no issues.

Last edited:
Inline 4, not V4
laugh.gif

I use the Wix 51334/Napa Gold 1334...it's probably the largest straight up recommended filter for the application on the Civic's(non Si not sure if it matters though).

OP, the OEM Honda blue filters are a very good filter. I have two Elements and all they have ever used are the Honda blue filters. I do 6K oil changes.

The dealer S2000 filer is the Toyo Roki filter.

But really, 8000 miles, won't matter. At least I haven't seen anything good (cutting open my filters), and I'm on my sixth Honda.

Last edited:
Mac, for the sake of completeness, let me add a couple of points to what's been written above.

There are two OEM Honda filters sold in the U.S. 15400-PLM-A01 is manufactured by Filtech, an American subsidiary of the Toyo Roki Manufacturing Company. Filtech has been manufacturing filters for HMC since '87, I think.

The other Honda filter (also blue in color) is part number 15400-PLM-A02. It's manufactured for Honda by the Fram Division of the Honeywell Corp. Honda oil filter cognoscenti insist the A01 filter is better because, among other things, the A01 filter media is held in place with metal end caps unlike the Fram filter, which has treated paper end caps. American Honda insists the filtration specifications are identical for both filters, and for several years Honda's maintenance schedule has indicated that either filter can be left unchanged for two oil changes.

The deciding factor for many Honda owners, however, is cost. For the same money or less, you can buy a Wix Gold filter or a PureONE filter. Each has its stanch supporters. FWIW, I've used them all on 14 Hondas/Acuras over two decades (at least), and frankly I don't think it makes any difference which filter you choose.

I've cut a bunch of them open and they all were in perfect shape. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

As for the 'go with the larger filter = better' suggestion, bigger isn't always better. I personally use the Purolator 14612 which is a tiny filter and smaller than the 14610. It's a well built filter with a lot of tight/even/strong pleats. And I've cut open most of the options for my Subaru:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1860636&page=1

The two smallest in that lineup were the winners IMO.

Thanks for the responses. I am planning on running a semi-longer oci next change so I might see if I can find a M1 filter in AZ or APP

The now most standard Honda filter, A-02 is no more than average/adequate at best, imo. Similar to a Tough Guard with P type gasket, I agree bepperb on his alternative choice of a P1. Getting ready to take off my second ~full MM OCI using P1.

I'd stick with 14610/7317 filter size filter.

That said, the A-02 will get the job done, but if you are paying ~$5, you are paying too much for an average Fram (no longer Honeywell) made filter. Better choices out there for the same or less money.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
...Fram (no longer Honeywell)...

Fram is no longer Honeywell? Their website still says they are. Did I miss something or just misinterpret something?

When Honda changed their OEM filter to the 2nd version (made by honeywell/Fram ) they changed the shape of the rubber gasket to a "P"shaped gasket as the first version had a few problems with the gasket coming loose, and sometimes getting pulled into the oil going into the engine.

Hasd anybody else ever heard this?

I'll see if I can find a link to the story I read on that.

Back