best tool to check tire pressure for acuracy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know a good tool to check tire pressure that give best acuracy. I alway use the 2 dollar stick with the number. My friend have one of those digital it nice, i ask him how much, he say bought for 20 dollar -_-.

well sounds like you have seen the ends of the spectrum. I do get annoyed with the guess and check method of the stick. Hey we could go in on a group buy of one that does all 4 tires at once! so how much are you running in your tires, and what size are they?

A motorcycle magazine did a test on tire gauges a few years back and came up with the rather cheapy Accugauge brand for accuracy. I bought one at Sears for around $7 (had to get the model that had a 90º bend for use on my motorcycle wheel) and I've used it for years.

The digital ones usually resolve to .5 PSI. They also have less stuff to wear or get knocked out of calibration. They're plasticky and have no soul but are generally pretty good.

I was wondering about the accuracy of my bin full of different type inflation gauges, so I tried all of them on the same tire. All were too close to read a difference except one, and that went into the trash. If they all match, they are probably accurate.

I just bought a Milton inflator with gauge. It reads about 2 or 3 psi lower than the rest. I contacted Milton, and they said that inaccuracy of 3 psi anywhere on the scale still met their standard.

Digital
56.gif

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I am more concerned with precision rather than accuracy, personally.

robert

Why? If a digital one reads 33.485 but the actual PSI is 38, that's worse than a stick or dial one that reads 38 with no decimal place

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Why? If a digital one reads 33.485 but the actual PSI is 38, that's worse than a stick or dial one that reads 38 with no decimal place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

I think you're confusing the terms. What I am saying is that the important part of a tire pressure measuring device is that it is precise, ie that repeated measurements return the same value. I don't really care of the accuracy is poor, at least to a certain degree.

I will figure out the values that work for my car in different conditions based on that measuring tool, and I use the same tool every time. As long as it is consistent in the values that it returns when a measurement is taken, we're in okay shape, even if the value is not accurate. Does that make sense?

robert

I bought a digital gauge at Lowes yesterday, after getting sick of using the stick gauges, or the gauge on my air compressor (weird fluctuation with the readings).

Good thing is, it is very consistent, easy to read (obviously, digital) and seems to be accurate. My stick gauge, air compressor and the digital all read about the same PSI... The digital is just much easier to work with.

It was only $9, it is the "Slime" brand they sell.

I recommend it! For the price, its a good value IMO.

Last edited:
On the tire inflator compressor, I have a Sears cordless rechargeable. It goes everywhere, keeps its charge for a long time, and does a good job on passenger tires and smaller. Larger truck tires can be an issue, but everything else it does well.

For Xmas I got the craftsman digital tire guage. It looks cool and is fun to use but accuracy is questionable. I can measure a tire i just inflated and it will read, for example, 38.5psi. Two seconds later I measure the same tire and it will read 40psi. Then it sticks with the 40 from there on. The cheap stick types seem to be fine.

http://www.ghmeiser.com/contact.htm

All my gauges are from them. And, if any act up, I send it back for repair(calibration). Its great to have several gauges that read the same from a tire. I never worry about how accurate the PSI or gauge is, since it just is when you buy a quality gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back