Headlight lenses are "peeling" - what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headlight lenses on my 02 Intrepid have a thing layer that is peeling off. not fading, peeling. will one of the headlight restoration kits fix this or just make a mess?

it must be a chrysler thing. My truck is doing the same thing. If you mean restoring it by buffing them I don't see how that would make it better. Your just going to cause it to peel more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
it must be a chrysler thing. My truck is doing the same thing. If you mean restoring it by buffing them I don't see how that would make it better. Your just going to cause it to peel more.

Probably factory glitch

replace lens.

Short of replacing them, helping them finish peeling and then polishing them is the best approach.

The peeling surface was probably there for UV protection and scratch resistance. Once it's gone, you can keep the lights in good shape by polishing them every couple of years.

Unless you are looking for perfection, there should be no harm in using them while they are partially peeled.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
The headlight lenses on my 02 Intrepid have a thing layer that is peeling off. not fading, peeling. will one of the headlight restoration kits fix this or just make a mess?

Originally Posted By: XS650
Short of replacing them, helping them finish peeling and then polishing them is the best approach.

The peeling surface was probably there for UV protection and scratch resistance. Once it's gone, you can keep the lights in good shape by polishing them every couple of years.

Unless you are looking for perfection, there should be no harm in using them while they are partially peeled.

The headlights of my '00 E430 had the same problem, the UV protective layer peeled off 2-3 years ago. I bought the 3M headlight cleaning kit last year, after about 40-45 minutes work to remove the plastic protective the headlight were clearer, not as good as new but not as cloudy.

Last edited:
$250-400 for replacements... ouch!!!!

I could buy ALOT of oil for that much!

Last edited:
DoubleHorn’s Headlight Lens Restoration works the best and it comes with clearcoat spray.

The lenses on my former '97 Dakota were peeling also. I used the 3M kit to sand all that off and buff. It turned out EXCELLENT, but the lenses did start to yellow back again after a few years (but no peeling).

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

It's not a chrysler thing. I see cars all the time come through the shop of all different makes and models with the UV coating peeling off.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
$250-400 for replacements... ouch!!!!

I could buy ALOT of oil for that much!

You can get aftermarket way cheaper than that.

Sometimes you can find replacement lenses; in other cases you must either refinish the existing lenses or replace the entire headlight assembly.

There are a few places on eBay that sell lenses, and I had pretty good luck with ones for my Golf. Replacement Jetta lenses are extremely hard to find, and I'm guessing replacement lenses for Chrysler products are also rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back