Bar's leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Critic used some just before he crashed his Saturn. Was he texting and driving? We will never know
eek.gif

I'd say that 99 out of 100 times stop leak does not work. Most people add too much and just foul the whole cooling system and plug up the heater core.

Bars Leak Gold is the same as GM sealer tabs only in powder form.
It is Ginger root,an unusual wood that only expands when exposed to air so it will not clog radiators and heater cores.It works good on minor stuff,but the life of the repair depends on the size and location of the leak.

You can expect poor results on head gaskets,intake leaks (e.g GM V6) water pump seals,hoses (pin hole in the actual hose).

On the other hand small leaks around fittings,soldered joints,porous castings,thermostat seals or other fiber gaskets should seal pretty well.
Radiators and heater cores may or may not seal well depending on the amount of rot in unit.

I Used Bars leak 2.5 yrs ago on my Chevy Suburban that had a problem with slight coolant loss. One application of the stuff and the problem has not returned since.

I used there product on a dodge neon that I had with a leaking heater core. To my amazement no more water on the floor board it fixed the leak. I used the same stuff the you posted in the link in my mustang with leaking radiator, but no luck it still leaks. I think its worth a shot at lease.

I dropped a wrench in to the fins on a radiator once that caused it to have a slight leak. I added the regular gray bottle of Bar's leak and it sealed it right up. This was over 8 years ago and it has held.

It worked in my application, where I had a small leak at a difficult-to-access external gasket surface that I was unable to clean properly and would have required many hours of labor to get at. It wasn't a simple job like changing a radiator! That was a few years ago and it's still good. However, the o-rings on my pressure cap and outlet housing seemed to expand after, possibly being the cause of failure of the plastic housing shortly after. I can't say with any certainty that Bar's caused it though. I'd use it again if I really needed to, but I'd test a new o-ring that is designed for coolant service in the stuff before I do, to see if it expands. It might be a non-issue on other vehicles though. I don't know how many would have an o-ring like that, but I also wonder if it might affect hoses and water pump seals if it actually does cause expansion.

I ended up changing the dexcool and adding prestone super stop leak.

I never did find the leak but we had a smell of antifreeze (see my other thread).

I will report back in a few weeks.

I used the heavy duty pellot stop leak for a torn hose(nissan vg30e, I thought water pump, but it was a hose) It worked great for a month then slowly starting dumping again.

Also used a half bottle in a old 86 c-vic that had a mystery leak(maybe half quirt every 1500miles)and it stopped it.

It works. Those old Cadillac 4.5-4.9 engines required it as a regular service procedure. It seals up those cylinder liner o-rings. John--Las Vegas.

Originally Posted By: Torino
It works. Those old Cadillac 4.5-4.9 engines required it as a regular service procedure. It seals up those cylinder liner o-rings. John--Las Vegas.

IIRC, GM was using Bar's Leaks in the factory on those engines and Bar's made some mention of this on the label of their product but, not specificly to GM, just specific to the industry.

I'm currently using it in my Aerostar and have been for a while. For me replacing the radiator is no longer worth it. What I also found helpful in my application was a lower pressure radiator cap. This car has beater status, so go easy on me for not addressing the radiator.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm currently using it in my Aerostar and have been for a while. For me replacing the radiator is no longer worth it. What I also found helpful in my application was a lower pressure radiator cap. This car has beater status, so go easy on me for not addressing the radiator.

I too have nursed cars/beaters with many miles on them into their teens doing similar things. Many of us have!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I too have nursed cars/beaters with many miles on them into their teens doing similar things. Many of us have!

You do what you have to do. Some cars just aren't worth sinking the money into.

That's right!
I have bought used tires cheap and had them installed cheaply as well. Sometimes using as many as 3 diff brand name tires, two of the same on the front and two different ones on the back. Lots of cable ties under the hood and wire hangers and brazing the rusty exhaust parts.

Extending the OCI's, topping up any other fluid as long as it's full, I wasn't concerned about their condition. And fixing only what needs fixing to keep the thing running! If the motor mounts were making noise when excelerating, so be it! If the engine blew black smoke out the tail pipe, oh well! If I had to bang the starter on a cold day to get it to turn over the engine, I was ready!

Nursing the vehicle till I had money to get another. Been there!
I wish Cash-for-Clunkers was around in the 70's & 80's. I haven't had to do this in a while and it's also getting harder in our state to have vehicles inspected(Post'95), as you well know!

In the 60's & 70's, and some of the 80's, it was a bit easier to run junk on the roads without inspections or "knowing a guy" to get one. Today the inspection stations are pretty much taring apart your vehicle looking for anything. Then, there is the EPA! One faulty sensor and that it, you fail!

There is no more, "I know a guy"!

Last edited:

In the 60's & 70's, and some of the 80's, it was a bit easier to run junk on the roads without inspections or "knowing a guy" to get one. Today the inspection stations are pretty much taring apart your vehicle looking for anything. Then, there is the EPA! One faulty sensor and that it, you fail!

Funny you mention that, I was very pleased to find out in January when I had my Aerostar inspected, that NYS [at least Long Island] did away with the dino sniffer for pre 1996 cars, and now does a safety only inspections. The price dropped too. I never had a problem on the sniffer but was always concerned of the possibility of it failing it. My vehicles are always safe, so it was a nice surprise. My Aerostar still runs like a top, but time and the lousy roads have taken their toll. Now that the snow is hopefully done with I can take my time and look for a good used 4x4 replacement.

I've used the brown pellets several times with good results. I had a very stubborn leak in my new-to-me BMW that the pellets just couldn't hold (freaking 30PSI cooling system might have something to do with that). I put in half a bottle of the Bar's silver stuff and the leak stopped. I know what's leaking but right now I don't have the 8 hours that it would take to get to.

I've never had Bar's plug something that shouldn't have been plugged.

Funny you mention that, I was very pleased to find out in January when I had my Aerostar inspected, that NYS [at least Long Island] did away with the dino sniffer for pre 1996 cars, and now does a safety only inspections. The price dropped too. I never had a problem on the sniffer but was always concerned of the possibility of it failing it. My vehicles are always safe, so it was a nice surprise. My Aerostar still runs like a top, but time and the lousy roads have taken their toll. Now that the snow is hopefully done with I can take my time and look for a good used 4x4 replacement.

Ya know, years ago I would store my summer ride(usually old American V8 Iron) and drive complete junk in the winter time. I don't do that any more as I to like driving safe vehicles, even safe rusty vehicles. I want to stay in new or pre-owned vehicles that I don't have to work on so often as my bones hurt these days after working on the garage floor/concrete.

Seem like every time I work on mine or others cars, I need a nap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back