Rotella T6 5-40 vs. RP 5-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am a bit on the fence on the oil I am using . I have been using Royal Purple 5w-30 for several years now and have had good luck so far. BUT I have always liked Rotella and have used it in the past. I am very interested in the Rotella T6 5w-40 for my truck (Toyota tacoma 2008). So what do you all think?? Would you make the switch to Rotella T6 over the RP? It just seems that RP is way over priced and T6 seems to be a great oil and it is very reasonably priced. Any UAO that can be posted that show RP or T6 under-performing would be awesome. So please tell me what you think, post oil reports that show short fall with either oil because this is a big change for me, I usually stick with oil for ever but since I left Mobil for RP I have wondered if there was another oil that would do just as well with 5k OCI's, as the Royal Purple would. Many thanks in advance!

I dont care, or give creedence to mfg,s recommends., you use what you want. rotella(esp) T6 5-40 is outstanding.I've used so many blends and oils since i've owned my 69' firebird that my personal belief extends to what life your vehicle has on it.And the use of the bearings ,i could go into extensive ,but you know what i mean.

Is your truck under any kind of warranty?

If so, and you are concerned about keeping it so you don't have hassles with it, you want to use what the manufacturer specifies - which is most likey an API SM, GF-4 5W-30 or 5W-20 oil.

Even IF you don't give a rat's behind about that, Rotella T6 on a newer Toyota truck is not the best option - it's pretty thick, and the truck may become sluggish and not get as good of mileage - stick to a 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil.

I do not have any warranty left, ran out at 60,000, but it just seems to me that my engine wants a bit thicker oil. I feel like it is running on water with the current 5-30. It just sounds as though it could stand a thicker oil, not that I have a click clack at all, I just think it would tolerate it, but keep the replies coming maybe someone is running it in the same truck and can tell me if it has worked for them? Thanks for your quick replies!

I have no experience with RP, but I have a lot with synthetics since I became sold on them in the 1980s back when Mobil 1 was the only synthetic brand you could find on store shelves.

After being pretty loyal to Mobil 1 for many years - I did run some of the other off-the-shelf synthetic brands occasionally as they became available just to see how they were - I switched to Rotella T Synthetic ("RTS") 5w40 about five years ago and it has worked very well in every vehicle I've put it in since. I switched out of concern for the additive changes that were being made to oils rated for gasoline passenger car use and also the price increases for Mobil 1 at the time. RTS 5w40 has since been renamed T6 by its maker, Shell.

Being a dual rated diesel/gasoline oil, T6 is allowed to have a more robust additive package than the passenger car only oils can have now. It is also made of a Shell base oil about which you read a lot of great comments by people with expertise in base oils.

My cars are 6 - 13 years old and T6 has additives at levels that the best gasoline passenger car oils had back when my engines were designed, and even more when it comes to the additives that clean because it is mainly a diesel oil. I get outstanding UOAs with it. My engines sound good and run well on it. Oil consumption is, if anything, down a little with it. Trials on long Interstate highway runs indicate that the penalty on gas mileage of the thicker 40 weight is on the order of a small number of tenths of an MPG - maybe a percent or two overall. That's an acceptable tradeoff to me for extra-long engine life. And, last but not least, is that it can be bought for very good prices in gallon jugs off Walmart shelves anywhere I go.

With all that said, I am about to try some Rotella T5 synthetic blend 10w30. Being a dual diesel/gasoline rated oil it has the heavy duty additives I want. And, all other things being equal, I like the idea of it being 30 weight at operating temperature because that's what the manuals say to use. I should get back that percent or two of MPG. On the matter of it being a blend, I'm not too worried about that because they are refining much cleaner conventional base oils than they were when I became sold on synthetics in the 1980s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ckmarsh
I was thinking of using T6 is it a group 2 or 3 base stock ?

I am not an expert, but some on here who appear to be experts say it is a special variation of group III that Shell developed and that it is better in some ways than the group IV that others insist oil must be to be truly synthetic. Whether or not Rotella synthetic and other group III oils that are marketed as synthetic deserve to be called synthetic is a matter of controversy with some people, but as far as I know everyone agrees that the Shell base stock in T6 is just excellent.

T5 is a blend of group II and the group III that is in T6.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info I know some oils that say full synthetic on the bottle are just group 2 base oil I
wish they would say what they are on there web sites
it so hard for me to know what I am really using.

Originally Posted By: ckmarsh
Thanks for that info I know some oils that say full synthetic on the bottle are just group 2 base oil I
wish they would say what they are on there web sites
it so hard for me to know what I am really using.

Which ones?
28.gif

Originally Posted By: ronrackley
I have no experience with RP, but I have a lot with synthetics since I became sold on them in the 1980s back when Mobil 1 was the only synthetic brand you could find on store shelves.

After being pretty loyal to Mobil 1 for many years - I did run some of the other off-the-shelf synthetic brands occasionally as they became available just to see how they were - I switched to Rotella T Synthetic ("RTS") 5w40 about five years ago and it has worked very well in every vehicle I've put it in since. I switched out of concern for the additive changes that were being made to oils rated for gasoline passenger car use and also the price increases for Mobil 1 at the time. RTS 5w40 has since been renamed T6 by its maker, Shell.

Being a dual rated diesel/gasoline oil, T6 is allowed to have a more robust additive package than the passenger car only oils can have now. It is also made of a Shell base oil about which you read a lot of great comments by people with expertise in base oils.

My cars are 6 - 13 years old and T6 has additives at levels that the best gasoline passenger car oils had back when my engines were designed, and even more when it comes to the additives that clean because it is mainly a diesel oil. I get outstanding UOAs with it. My engines sound good and run well on it. Oil consumption is, if anything, down a little with it. Trials on long Interstate highway runs indicate that the penalty on gas mileage of the thicker 40 weight is on the order of a small number of tenths of an MPG - maybe a percent or two overall. That's an acceptable tradeoff to me for extra-long engine life. And, last but not least, is that it can be bought for very good prices in gallon jugs off Walmart shelves anywhere I go.

With all that said, I am about to try some Rotella T5 synthetic blend 10w30. Being a dual diesel/gasoline rated oil it has the heavy duty additives I want. And, all other things being equal, I like the idea of it being 30 weight at operating temperature because that's what the manuals say to use. I should get back that percent or two of MPG. On the matter of it being a blend, I'm not too worried about that because they are refining much cleaner conventional base oils than they were when I became sold on synthetics in the 1980s.

Awesome information, Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back