Alignment after shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
If shocks are replaced on a vehicle, is it sound to perform an alignment to ensure everything is correct? Ive heard some stories of vehicles sitting slightly higher after shocks are replaced, though not sure if this can really be the case - they dont really have load carrying capability.

Thanks!

Yes, especially strut suspension. I'm usually a cheap and will wait do to an alignment after shocks AND tires, but generally any time a suspension piece is removed, replaced, or upgraded, it is best to go ahead and align it.

Im talking shocks, not a strut setup of any sort.

The overall data here is universally relevant I guess, so thanks, but my specific application is shocks, front and rear.

Thanks!

No. If it is setting higher it's back to factory specs. And they try hard to not have significant camber/caster change as you load up.

My opinion will differ slightly.

Struts, it is always best to check alignment after replacement as you "just never know" what got muscled around during the job.

For regular shocks (like my Grand Marq), I don't see a need to bother with an alignment.

There is nothing about shock replacement that would change any specs or adjustments. No alignment required. Now, if you take a careful look at your tires and look for feathering or uneven wear.....

Shocks, no.
Struts, yes.
But it depends on if they are oddball and have to remove other suspension parts [for shocks]. Normally, no.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
But it depends on if they are oddball and have to remove other suspension parts [for shocks]. Normally, no.

There's the answer...

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Shocks, no.
Struts, yes.

Can you explain to me the difference between shocks and struts?

I think a shock is the piece inside the spring on the swingarm on a motorcycle? If so, then what is a strut?

Strut20to20Knuckle20Bolts20and20ABS.jpg

Mac struts like this one are structural parts of the suspension that also provide dampening and usually have the spring as well. They are necessary for the suspension to stay functional. If you took a strut out the only attachment of the hub would be a ball joint to the A-arm. Shocks like the ones on a solid rear axle on a pickup aren't needed at all to keep the suspension functional, all they do is provide dampening, no structural loads go through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back